What realignment means for BCS
Superconferences won't get us a playoff, but BCS change is still possible
So, the Pac-12 has decided to take a stroll down sanity lane, leaving the Big 12 to pull a Brett Favre retirement hoax for the second year in a row.
What exactly does that mean for college football, though?
At least for now, the Pac-12 won't be expanding to 16 teams, and the Big 12 should continue as a legitimate conference. Whether the ACC will expand to 16 teams and whether the Big East will survive as a football league are still up for debate, but one thing now seems certain after much of the smoke has cleared. The concept of four 16-team superconferences will have to wait.
It's just as well. Not only would superconferences have eliminated some traditional rivalries that mean a great deal to many fans, but they also wouldn't have delivered the one thing fans most desired from the creation of superconferences: a college football playoff.
However, that doesn't mean that changes won't be coming to the BCS as a result of this round of conference expansion.
For Brad Edwards' full take on what conference realignment will mean for the BCS, become an ESPN Insider today.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-PSU players support Paternos' lawsuit
- QB Lunt will transfer to Illini, fulfill 'dream'
- Navy to charge football players in rape case
- Manziel 'can't wait to leave' College Station
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation