Busting CFB's Week 1 myths
Marcus Lattimore may not be South Carolina's best Heisman candidate
Every Monday during the season, ESPN Insider will be looking at the biggest myths coming out of the weekend in college football, and explaining why you shouldn't be buying them.
Here is our examination of Week 1.
Myth 1: The Missouri Tigers will have a C-minus offense this season
One of the most useful football analytic maxims is a classic Chris Berman-Tom Jackson saying: Once is an accident, twice is a trend, three times is a fact.
What this means is for something to be accepted as being the norm for a player or a team, it has to happen on a consistent basis.
A single, or even double, occurrence of an event simply does not provide enough evidence to make a hands-down case for it to be considered par for the course.
To read why Missouri's offense should improve, plus why Robert Woods still has work to do and why Marcus Lattimore may not have the best numbers among Gamecocks at season's end, you must be an ESPN Insider.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
- QB Lunt mulls Illinois after visit, sources say
- Former Arkansas QB Mitchell picks NC State
- McCartney back on WVU roster after 6 months
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation