Aaron Murray is Kellen Moore's equal
Boise's QB has an impressive resume, but Georgia's passing game is just as strong
Every great collegiate player can look back on his career and point to one contest that served as the breakout game of his NCAA tenure.
Before that matchup, the player may have garnered a certain amount of national attention for his talents, but after the breakout game -- usually created out of a showcase opportunity against a highly ranked opponent -- his potential greatness was seen in a much different light.
This was certainly the case for each of the past two Heisman Trophy winners. Cam Newton had this moment last year when he accounted for five touchdowns in a widely seen comeback victory against South Carolina. Mark Ingram got national attention of a similar caliber in 2009 after tallying 185 yards from scrimmage and posting two fourth-quarter touchdowns in a victory over Virginia Tech.
Georgia Bulldogs quarterback Aaron Murray has the opportunity to have his breakout game this Saturday against the Boise State Broncos, and in doing so he'll have the chance to prove on a national stage what the numbers already show -- which is that he's already as good of a quarterback as Broncos signal-caller and Heisman candidate Kellen Moore.
Become an ESPN Insider and see how Aaron Murray stacks up with Kellen Moore, plus Insider's full slate of college football coverage.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
- Harwell, nation's No. 2 WR in '11, off to Kansas
- Oregon releases additional docs in NCAA probe
- Lions launching Ford Field bowl, sources say
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation