Land mines for Oklahoma, more
Flaws that could trip up Oregon, Oklahoma and the other preseason top-five teams
All the teams in ESPN.com/ESPN The Magazine's preseason top 25 poll made rank because they have lots of positive things going for them. But nobody's perfect, and to identify the things that could hold these teams back, we sent them through ESPN Insider's Eliminator model.
This week we'll examine five teams per day, picking out the statistical weakness that could trip up each team and the three teams/games that could exploit them (the land-mine games, if you will). Each stat is drawn from our Eliminator model and is a category that correlates strongly to success in college football. The minimum benchmark met by each conference and BCS champ and the average of past champs is provided for each.
Today, we complete the series with the teams ranked No. 5 through No. 1.
5. Florida State Seminoles (10-4 in 2010)
Statistical category: First downs per game
BCS benchmark: 20.4 (22.5 average)
ACC benchmark: 16.5 (18.7 average)
Florida State in 2010: 19.6
The Seminoles finished 62nd in the nation in first downs per game last season but got by just fine on offense in large part thanks to strong numbers in key categories like third-down conversion percentage and red zone offense. (Their scoring offense was solid as well, putting up more than 31 points per game.)
However, FSU's production in these areas could dip a bit, as it breaks in new QB EJ Manuel.
Become an ESPN Insider and read about Florida State's new QB, plus potential weaknesses of the other top 5 teams.
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Notre Dame paid Weis more than Kelly in 2011
- Ex-Penn State QB Bench transferring to USF
- Host Finebaum joining SEC Network, ESPN
- Ex-PSU prez seeks dismissal of criminal charges
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
Insider CFB content
Expert Takes• Insider: Can Clemson win it all? | Louisville
• Kiper: Top prospects for 2014, by position
• Haney: CFB's top 10 teams based on talent
• Kiper: Top QB prospects for 2014 | RBs | WRs
• Haney: Make-or-break QB prospect scenarios
Post-spring projections• Pac-12: Oregon, Stanford, USC on top
• ACC: Can Clemson win the league title?
• SEC: Bama, South Carolina early favorites
• Big Ten: Surprise winner in Legends
• Big 12: Two-team race for first place
RecruitingNation• Michigan No. 1 in 2014 class rankings
• Luginbill: Answering mailbag questions
• Crabtree: Urban recruits popular draft picks
• Notre Dame, Boise State trending up
• Recruiting updates for Pac-12 teams
• Recruiting updates for Big Ten teams
• Recruiting updates for SEC teams
• Recruiting updates for ACC teams
• Recruiting updates for Big East teams
• Recruiting updates for Big 12 teams
Get news and rumblings before anyone
Travis Haney's blog
Analysis and buzz from around the nation