Top 5 Pac-12 teams of BCS era
2004 USC Trojans lead list of Pac-12's best teams since 1998
1. 2004 USC Trojans (13-0) These Trojans measure as the best team of the BCS era across all conferences, a dominant team that would later have to vacate its final two victories and the championship crown thanks to NCAA sanctions. USC won games by an average of 23 points per game against the 13th-toughest schedule according to the FEI ratings. Four Trojans opponents ranked among the FEI top 15 at the end of the year, and USC dropped those four teams by a cumulative score of 147-56. The BCS championship win over Oklahoma was the biggest blowout of the era. The USC defense allowed only 80.5 rushing yards per game and tallied 48 sacks on the year, tops in the nation in both measures. Running backs LenDale White and Reggie Bush combined for 2011 yards rushing and 33 touchdowns on the ground, and Bush chipped in 509 receiving yards out of the backfield, as well.
To read more about the best Pac-12 teams in the BCS era, plus to gain access to all of Insider's college football and gambling content, become an Insider.
Brian FremeauESPN Insider
• Creator of the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI), a measure of college football team efficiency
• Contributor to Football Outsiders and his own site, bcftoys.com
MORE COLLEGE FOOTBALL HEADLINES
- Mizzou rallies past Hogs for SEC East crown
- Arizona holds off ASU to claim Pac-12 South
- Hogan, Stanford play spoilers, bounce UCLA
- Mom: Missing Buckeye sent concussion texts
MOST SENT STORIES ON ESPN.COM
College Football on Insider
Which one-loss playoff contenders are likeliest to run the table? Nebraska leads the way to the playoff.
- Nike Men's Stanford Cardinal Rose Bowl Game Mascot T-shirt