Tom Dahlin/Getty Images
Adrian Peterson has been running over the opposition all season.With Minnesota Vikings running back Adrian Peterson having another amazing game on Sunday, we thought it was time to put Peterson's season into historical perspective. Here are five Peterson stats worth knowing.
1. With 154 rushing yards on Sunday, Peterson is now at 1,600 rushing yards for the season. He is the 12th player in NFL history with multiple seasons of 1,600 rushing yards.
The other 11, as you would expect, are a heck of a group: Eric Dickerson (4), Walter Payton (3), LaDainian Tomlinson (3), Shaun Alexander, Tiki Barber, Earl Campbell, Terrell Davis, Larry Johnson, Barry Sanders, O.J. Simpson, and Emmitt Smith (2 each).
2. With those 1,600 yards, Peterson needs 400 rushing yards in the last three games to become the seventh player in NFL history with 2,000 in a single season.
Most Rushing Yards in Season
He is averaging 157.3 yards in his last seven games, so if he rushes for that average in his next three games, he will finish with 2,072.
That would be the second-highest single-season total in NFL history, 33 yards shy of the record Dickerson set in 1984.
3. Peterson has 1,101 rushing yards in his last seven games. The Elias Sports Bureau tells us that in the last 28 seasons, only one player had more rushing yards over seven games- Johnson with 1,112.
Peterson was 51 yards shy of the top total- 1,152 yards by Walter Payton for the Chicago Bears in 1977.
Peterson’s seven straight games with at least 100 rushing yards are the most by a player since Chris Johnson had a 12-game streak spanning 2009 and 2010.
4. Peterson had 94 yards after contact on Sunday, giving him 832 yards after contact this season.
Leader in Rush Yds After Contact
By Season Since 2009
That’s the most by a player in any season in the four seasons for which we have video-review data.
He is on pace to finish with 1,024 yards after contact on rushes this season.
Peterson is averaging 3.1 yards after contact per carry. To put that into perspective consider this: The Green Bay Packers entered Sunday averaging only 3.3 total yards per run this season.
5. Peterson had 11 rushes for 97 yards and a touchdown outside the tackles on Sunday, compared with 57 yards on 20 rushes between the tackles.
Peterson has been running outside on nearly a quarter of his rushes over his last five games with great success. He has rushed for 393 yards on his last 28 rushes outside the tackles. He had 42 total rushing yards outside the tackles in his first eight games this season.