Friday, February 1, 2013
Juco 100 DT pushes back decision
By Damon Sayles
The nation’s top undecided junior college prospect will remain that way longer than he orginally planned.
Four-star defensive tackle Toby Johnson (Hutchinson, Kan./Hutchinson Community College), who once discussed announcing on national signing day, said he wants to squeeze in a couple more official visits before announcing. The 6-foot-4, 305-pound tackle won’t be able to get upcoming visits completed before Wednesday, so he has pushed his decision date back once again.
“I switched to the Feb. 12 because I have a visit I have to take to Mississippi State,” said Johnson, the No. 4 prospect in the ESPN Junior College 100. “That is part of the decision, and I am trying to make it better for everybody who wants to televise it and all that because I know they are going to be out in a lot of different places.
“Everybody wanted me to go back home and [announce], but I decided I can’t miss school, so I am just going to do it here. The people should have enough time to come out here.”
Before he heads to Starkville, Miss., on Feb. 8, Johnson will take an official visit to Auburn this weekend. Johnson has built a solid relationship with both head coach Gus Malzahn and defensive line coach Rodney Garner.
“I just want to see what they had to offer and why everybody is committing there,” Johnson said. “I want to know what is good about the program and what happened all of a sudden.”
In addition to Auburn and Mississippi State, Johnson is being chased by a number of schools – one of those being Georgia. A native of College Park, Ga., Johnson said he is looking forward to the Mississippi State visit in an effort of building even better relationships with the staff and becoming more acquainted with the players.
“I just want to get down there and get a chance to meet everybody,” Johnson said. “I have already met all the coaches. I want to get a good feel for the players. I want to meet up with my homeboy Rufus [Warren].”
Johnson added that his Feb. 12 decision date is not set in stone. A decision could come sooner if he feels strongly about a program. Among the multiple schools interested are Oklahoma, Missouri, Florida, Texas A&M, Nebraska and Kansas State.
“If I decide I like somewhere I will go with it,” Johnson said. “I am seeing some other schools so I will go from there.”