Thursday, January 10, 2013
Horns pursuing recent A&M decommit
By Max Olson
Texas has long been on the lookout for an additional wide receiver for its 2013 class ever since ending its recruitment of Ricky Seals-Jones.
That should become an even higher priority if leading receiver Mike Davis enters the NFL Draft a year early. The newest target on UT’s radar to fill that spot is a speedy athlete who backed out of his pledge to Texas A&M this week.
“It’s very exciting,” he said. “That’s where I’m from, so I want to get back home and play where my family can see my play more often.”
The Ennis, Texas, native and stepson of former Auburn assistant coach Curtis Luper said UT receivers coach Darrell Wyatt reached out to his father to extend the offer. Echols-Luper has yet to speak with Wyatt but plans to call him Thursday night.
“My dad told me I just picked up an offer from Texas and that their receiving coach likes me a lot,” he said. “That’s really how it happened.”
The 5-foot-11, 183-pound athlete said he’s being recruiting as a receiver. He’s already scheduled official visits to TCU this weekend and Texas Tech next weekend, but he’d like to fit in a trip to Austin later this month.
“Right now, I’m really not sure when I can take my official there,” he saisd. “If I can get out of a track meet I have on the 25th, I’m going to try to make an official to Texas.”
Echols-Luper had been committed to A&M since August, but as the Aggies continued to take on more and more receivers for their 2013 class, he began to wonder where he’d fit in.
Echols-Luper saw the writing on the wall and felt it was time to start looking around.
“It was that and the fact that I kept hearing I was going to get switched to defense,” he said. “I didn’t want to be that guy who got lost in the numbers on the depth chart or get redshirted. I had to make a grown man decision and decommit and find a place where I won’t necessarily have to worry about that.”
He’ll talk to Wyatt tonight to confirm that he has an offer from the Longhorns, and Echols-Luper said he would seriously consider Texas if he can find a way to book an official visit.
If everything goes according to plan, Echols-Luper said he’d most likely want to make a signing-day decision on Feb. 6. He doesn’t have much time left, but he’s glad three Texas schools have stepped up their interest and could give him a chance to end up back in his home state.
“I’m not stressed about it or trying to cram things in,” he said. “I do have a few more weeks to decide, and I feel like I have all the time I need.”