Friday, August 9, 2013
Northeast recruiting news and notes
By Adam Finkelstein
This week wasn’t quite as busy as last week in the Northeast region, but there was still plenty of action. Here’s a look at a few commitments that have gone down in the last seven days:
• Robert Morris landed a commitment from Jamesville-Dewitt (N.Y.) guard Jafar Kinsey, a quick, attacking style guard. A combo guard with a college ready driving game, Kinsey gets wherever he wants on the floor and also has the potential to become a very good defender at the next level.
• Albany added a commitment from Christian Brothers Academy (N.Y.) big man Greg Stire. The local product is tough and rugged, defends the post and has a solid motor. He’ll be solid but unspectacular offensively and able to contribute some both around the rim and facing the basket.
• Fairleigh Dickinson landed a late commitment in the Class of 2013 from Canisius (N.Y.) guard/forward Matt MacDonald. The 6-foot-3 swingman is a master role player who will bring toughness and leadership to the FDU locker room. He’s also a gym rat who has worked his way into a consistent shooter over the years.
And here’s a look at some of the notable offers and visits to come across the wire this week:
ESPN 100 SF Terry Larrier cut his list to 10 schools.
• Phelps (Pa.) small forward Terry Larrier cut his list to 10: Connecticut, Penn State, VCU, Marquette, Minnesota, Florida State, Miami, St. John's, Florida and Seton Hall.
• Minnesota became the latest school to offer Cushing Academy (Mass.) 2015 shooting guard Jalen Adams. The Gophers join Connecticut, Providence, Rhode Island and Kansas State.
• Minnesota also became the latest school to offer Rise Academy (Pa.) forward Kyle Kuzma, who visited Michigan State unofficially on Thursday. He holds other offers from Connecticut, Memphis, Arizona State and Missouri.
• St. Joseph’s Metuchen (N.J.) 2014 shooting guard Wade Baldwin has cut his list to Minnesota, Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Virginia Tech, Vanderbilt and Florida State.
• Point Pleasant Beach (N.J.) 2014 power forward Dominique Uhl has scheduled official visits to Boston College, Iowa and Temple for next month. He holds other offers from Maryland, Penn State, St. Joseph’s and FIU.
• Tilton (N.H.) 2015 wing Terance Mann is taking unofficial visits to Georgetown, VCU and George Washington. Georgetown offered while he was on campus and joins Florida, Rhode Island, Boston College, Iowa State, Miami and VCU, among others offers.
• Schalick (N.J.) 2014 center Rashaan Holloway began an official visit to UMass on Wednesday. The Minutemen have offered along with Temple, La Salle, Drexel, Marshall and Rider.
• Milton Academy (Mass.) 2014 power forward Alec Brennan trimmed his list to Harvard, Princeton, Yale, Brown, Purdue, Wake Forest, Davidson and Stanford.
• Wings Academy (N.Y.) 2015 point guard Desure Buie was offered by Rhode Island this week after being offered by Fairfield and Wisconsin-Milwaukee last week. He held previous offers from Seton Hall and Fordham.
• St. Andrew’s (Del.) 2014 point guard Austin Tilghman landed his latest offer from Quinnipiac after being offered by Canisius last week.
• Iona offered Lee Academy (Maine) 2014 guard Aaron Calixte, St. Benedict’s (N.J.) 2015 guard/forward Isaiah Still and Norwalk (Conn.) 2015 power forward Steve Enoch following the Elite Camp last weekend. Calixte holds other offers from Quinnipiac, New Hampshire, Siena and Towson, while Still was also offered by Harvard this week. Enoch holds recent offers from Quinnipiac and Fairfield.
• Robinson School (N.J.) 2014 small forward Bashir Ahmed was offered by Cal Bakersfield and Florida International this week.
• Northfield Mount Hermon (Mass.) 2015 point guard Daquon Ervin landed his latest offer from Brown. Columbia became the first school to offer him earlier this summer.
• Roselle Catholic (N.J.) 2016 point guard Asante Gist landed an offer from Rutgers. He holds interest from a number of other high-major programs.
• Delaware hosted Jackson Memorial (N.J.) 2014 big man Eric Carter, who subsequently trimmed his list to include Delaware, Fairfield, Monmouth, Towson, Florida Atlantic, Drexel and Vermont.
• Vermont Academy (Vt.) 2016 shooting guard Christian Vital received an offer from VCU while on an unofficial visit. He also visited Columbia last week.
• Colgate became the latest school to offer Penn Charter (Pa.) 2014 point guard Sean O’Brien. Hartford became the first school to offer O’Brien last month.
• Incoming South Kent (Conn.) post-graduate point guard Schadrac Casimir received his first Division I scholarship offer from Sacred Heart last week.