Friday, May 24, 2013
Northeast recruiting news and notes
By Adam Finkelstein
With the quiet period giving way to last week’s dead period, the last seven days have not been particularly eventful when it comes to recruiting news and notes. The well wasn’t totally dry though as a few different headlines and big names like Goodluck Okonoboh and Isaiah Briscoe have popped up on our timeline.
Here’s a look at the top headlines involving Northeast recruits:
• St. Andrew’s (R.I.) forward Bonzie Colson has been one of the most pleasant surprises from the EYBL season to date and as a result has scored offers from Iowa State, Florida State, and several others. Notre Dame head coach Mike Brey made the Irish the third high-major program to offer earlier this week, while numerous others are also closely evaluating the efficient forward.
Isaiah Briscoe, the No. 24 player in the ESPN 25, was recently offered by Indiana and Ohio State.
• The Hoosiers have also zeroed in on another local prospect in Briscoe. The 2015 St. Benedict’s (N.J.) 2015 SG recently picked up offers from Indiana and Ohio State and is said to be taking an unofficial visit to Florida sometime in next month. The ESPN 25 guard holds other high-major offers from Baylor, UConn, Florida, Miami, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, Seton Hall, Syracuse and Virginia.
• Okonoboh, the No. 20 player in the ESPN 60, has added two more high-major offers to his collection as Cincinnati and North Carolina State are the latest to come calling. Indiana still appears to be in the driver’s seat but with the Wilbraham and Monson (Mass.) center establishing himself as the premier shot-blocker in the nation, this list is bound to get bigger.
• Iona Prep (N.Y.) 2015 standout Matt Ryan has been building some steady momentum on the recruiting trail in recent weeks. The sharp-shooting swingman has reportedly landed recent offers from Davidson and Creighton while also collecting initial interest from a slew of other D-I programs.
• Allentown Central Catholic (Pa.) 2014 guard Muhammad Ali Abdur-Rahkman has garnered plenty of Division I interest while also attracting some initial attention from higher levels. He claims offers from Bucknell, Delaware Drexel, George Mason, Harvard, Lehigh, Robert Morris and VCU at this point. And he’s also reportedly hearing from the likes of Pittsburgh, St. Joseph’s, Temple, Villanova and Xavier.
• Abdur-Rahkman’s AAU teammate with Team Final, Berks Catholic (Pa.) 2014 C Nana Foulland, is seeing his recruitment pick up as well. He now holds firm offers from Boston University, Bucknell, Delaware, George Mason and Rider. He too is starting to ping the radar of higher level schools.