Friday, March 29, 2013
Northeast recruiting news & notes
By Adam Finkelstein
Another week brought more intriguing basketball recruiting information in the Northeast. Here’s a look at this week’s news and notes:
• Christ the King (N.Y.) senior guard Jon Severe continues to find himself in the news, and he will apparently stay there for the next two months after he recently said he’ll announce his decision on May 22. Wake Forest became the latest school to throw its hat into the ring this week. Wake joins Rutgers, Pittsburgh, Seton Hall, West Virginia, Boston College, Kansas State, George Washington, Duquesne and Fordham.
• Kimball Union Academy (N.H.) 2014 power forward Abdul-Malik Abu picked up his third offer in as many weeks as Xavier joined St. John’s and Florida. Abu also has previous offers from Boston College, Cincinnati, UConn, Iowa State, Maryland, Miami, Providence, Rutgers, Seton Hall and West Virginia, among others.
• Boston University offered a trio of up-and-coming local prospects in Springfield Central (Mass.) 2015 forward Chris Baldwin, Williston Northampton (Mass.) 2016 swingman Tyonne Malone and Brooks (Mass.) 2016 guard Ikenna Ndugba.
• Gill St. Bernard’s (N.J.) senior point guard Jaren Sina continues to say that Northwestern, Alabama and Seton Hall are his top three schools after having received his release from Northwestern following Bill Carmody’s firing. With Chris Collins now on board as Northwestern’s new head coach, we’ll have to wait to see exactly how that impacts Sina’s recruitment. However, we do know that there was no previous relationship between the two. Also keep an eye on Indiana, which has been coming on strong and consequently the Hoosiers have been able to distinguish themselves from a variety of other programs expressing interest, including Missouri, Purdue, Georgia and others.
• UConn hosted Bishop Loughlin (N.Y.) 2014 shooting guard Khadeem Carrington for an unofficial visit late last week. UConn, St. John’s and Cincinnati have been on Carrington for quite some time, while Florida State and SMU have reportedly also made recent pushes.
• Lower Merion (Pa.) alum and Worcester Academy (Mass.) post-graduate Darryl Reynolds added two more high-major offers after returning from his official visit to South Carolina earlier this week. Villanova and Utah were the most recent to come calling. Reynolds is in the process of setting his remaining visits and Santa Clara is also in the picture.
• Boston College picked up a commitment from Trinity (Ky.) shooting guard Darryl Hicks, who visited officially last weekend. Hicks is a well-built swingman who will provide the Eagles with a physically powerful player in the backcourt and another shot-maker to complement the rising sophomore tandem of Olivier Hanlan and Joe Rahon.
• Last week we told you how Montour (Pa.) senior guard Devin Wilson had become a hot name late this season, attracting interest from the likes of Villanova and St. Joseph’s. This week he took an official visit to George Mason.
• Delaware picked up a commitment from J.P. McCaskey (Pa.) forward Devonne Pinkard on Thursday night. At 6-foot-6, Pinkard has a versatile floor game that allows him to play both forward positions, stretch opposing defenses to the 3-point line and scorer over smaller defenders around the rim.