Wednesday, August 21, 2013
Blue Jays without Bautista
By AJ Mass
Although the Toronto Blue Jays have been sitting in the American East cellar since June 24, as late as two weeks ago there was still an air of optimism surrounding the team's chances at making a run at finishing the season at .500. That optimism has cooled after going 4-9 in their last 13 games and now they may be without Jose Bautista for the rest of the season.
Bautista was placed on the 15-day disabled list with a bone bruise in his left hip. The slugger, who had been hitting .288 with three home runs in August, says he originally suffered the injury about two weeks ago, but tried to play on even though he called himself only "about 60 or 70 percent."
Bautista does remain optimistic that he could come back in September. "I'm not expecting to be shut down. From what the doctor said, and I have full trust in his diagnosis, after the two weeks he expects the bone bruise to be somewhat healed if not completely, then after that a couple days of baseball action, and I'll be ready to go."
That said, by then the Blue Jays may well decide they simply want to spend the remaining schedule evaluating players like Anthony Gose and Kevin Pillar, who along with Rajai Davis, will be the likely beneficiaries from Bautista's absence in terms of playing time.