Saturday, February 2, 2013
By Jason Catania
Alex Rodriguez finally underwent surgery on a torn labrum in his left hip last month, and while the initial timetable had the Yankees third baseman expected to miss at least the first half of next season, GM Brian Cashman mentioned there's a real possibility that A-Rod could be out even longer.
In a radio interview with New York's WFAN station last week, Cashman acknowledged that the Yanks could be without Rodriguez for the entire 2013 season.
When asked if there was a chance A-Rod could be out all year, Cashman said: "I think because (of) the serious nature of the surgery and the condition that he's trying to recover from, you know, there is that chance."
While that seems like a new stance, it's not. As ESPNNewYork.com's Andrew Marchand writes, Cashman indicated such a possibility in early January, prior to the Jan. 16 procedure.
But just because he may be out for some time, don't think it's anything more than that. The former superstar indicated that he has no plans to retire, per ESPNNewYork.com. Sources cited said A-Rod is working hard to getting back on the field.
The good news is that the club's signing of veteran third baseman Kevin Youkilis back in December, once news broke that Rodriguez would need surgery, now looks like an even more prescient decision. Even if Youkilis is past his prime and has injury concerns himself, the soon-to-be 34-year-old should be a more-than-capable replacement for Rodriguez.