Monday, March 25, 2013
Who catches Dickey?
By Doug Mittler
It looks like R.A. Dickey will begin the season without Josh Thole as his personal catcher.
Thole, who was competing with Henry Blanco for the Blue Jays’ backup job behind J.P. Arencibia, will be sent to Triple-A Buffalo, reports John Lott of the National Post.
The Blue Jays made the move official on Monday morning, optioning Thole to Buffalo.
Thole was Dickey’s primary catcher with the New York Mets over the last two seasons, and his inclusion in December’s blockbuster trade was a sign that the relationship would continue. But Lott said but Jays officials were also impressed with Arencibia’s handling of Dickey’s knuckleball when they were Team USA teammates in the World Baseball Classic. Earlier in spring training, manager John Gibbons said the backup catcher would likely catch all of Dickey’s starts, so it remains to be seen if the 41-year-old Blanco handles that role.
Thole can’t escape Buffalo, playing parts of two seasons there when it was the Mets’ top affiliate. The Mets moved their Triple-A affiliate to Las Vegas this season.