- Eric Karabell, ESPN.com Senior Writer
• This is why we preach patience. San Diego Padres outfielder Kyle Blanks entered Monday's game against Jair Jurrjens and the Atlanta Braves hitting .158 with one RBI. Then he homered among three hits and knocked in five runs, raising his batting average to .240. The Padres, with 19 runs in six games, erupted for 17 against the Braves.
• As for Jurrjens, one certainly doesn't expect a pitcher coming off a 2.60 ERA in 2009 to allow eight earned runs over 3 1/3 innings at Petco Park. Jurrjens did have shoulder issues early in spring training, and his velocity was reportedly down Monday. His next start, against the Rockies, should be interesting, although it will be back home in Atlanta.
Box Score Bits
Get your brief daily look at the previous day's box scores first thing every Monday through Friday!
• The Braves could have used former outfielder Andruw Jones, who homered twice Monday for the Chicago White Sox. Jones, platooning with Mark Kotsay against lefty pitchers, did hit 17 home runs in only 82 games last year. Note that 14 of them came in the first half.
• Texas Rangers relief pitcher Frank Francisco remains busy. While Neftali Feliz earned the save with a perfect 10th inning Monday, Francisco earned the win with a perfect ninth. Francisco has a 2-2 record; all other Rangers are 2-1!
• Oakland Athletics right-hander Justin Duchscherer won his first game Monday since July 8, 2008, allowing two hits and two walks over 7 1/3 scoreless innings against the struggling Seattle Mariners. Duchscherer, still available in more than 96 percent of ESPN standard mixed leagues, had been roughed by the same Mariners in his his first outing of the season.
• It's too early to deem Minnesota's new Target Field good or bad for hitters, but the Twins' Jason Kubel enjoyed his first game there Monday, homering among three hits and raising his batting average 110 points to .286. Kubel, who knocked in 103 runs last season, has been dropped in 2 percent of leagues over the past week. Patience, indeed!