- Eric Karabell, ESPN.com Senior Writer
• New York Yankees pitcher Javier Vazquez, still available in nearly 30 percent of ESPN leagues, looks his old self after allowing only a Vernon Wells home run in seven innings Sunday. Vazquez had a nice week, beating the Toronto Blue Jays and Baltimore Orioles, giving up five hits and three runs in 14 innings, fanning 16.
• Blue Jays pitcher Brandon Morrow took the loss against Vazquez Sunday, but was certainly effective, striking out eight Yankees in seven strong innings, allowing four hits and one run. Morrow allowed two runs in 14 innings for the week, and he's on pace for more than 200 strikeouts.
Box Score Bits
Get your brief daily look at the previous day's box scores first thing every Monday through Friday.
• Cincinnati Reds pitcher Bronson Arroyo hurled eight innings in Washington and permitted two runs Sunday, leaving with a lead Francisco Cordero did not protect. Arroyo bounced back from a brutal outing in St. Louis, but other than that, he has pitched well since April. He's available in more than half of ESPN's leagues.
• It was easy to dismiss Austin Kearns when he became an everyday outfielder for the Cleveland Indians, but with his three hits and two stolen bases Sunday, he's becoming ownable even in standard 10-team mixed leagues. Incredibly, Kearns is hitting .309 and on pace for 86 RBIs.
• Pittsburgh Pirates first baseman/outfielder Garrett Jones homered off Tim Lincecum Sunday, his third home run and multi-hit game of the week. Jones hit three home runs in the first two games of the season, then sputtered for nearly two months until this week. Maybe he's back on track now for a potential 25-home run, 100-RBI season.
• Los Angeles Angels shortstop Erick Aybar stroked four hits Sunday, raising his batting average to .256, highest since April. Aybar has been disappointing, but during his past seven games he has raised his batting average 25 points, scored seven runs and stolen three bases.
Eric Karabell discusses the events from Sunday's baseball games, including a duel between Javier Vazquez and Brandon Morrow in Toronto.