Wednesday, October 9, 2013
Pac-12 class rankings analysis
By Gerry Hamilton
Each Wednesday, ESPN RecruitingNation updates its national class rankings. For an in-depth look at the Big Ten, check out our conference rankings:
1. Arizona, 24 commits: The Wildcats check in at No. 23 in the RecruitingNation class rankings with a class that includes four ESPN300 commitments, including No. 120 overall Marquis Ware and No. 185 Jamardre Cobb of Salesian High in Los Angeles. Arizona will take its shot with No. 17 overall Jalen Tabor (Washington, D.C./Friendship Collegiate Academy), and teammate Dae'Juan Funderburk (Washington, D.C./Friendship Collegiate Academy) in December.
2. Stanford, 16 commits: The Cardinal have continued their momentum on the field and in recruiting this season. Currently No. 24 nationally, Stanford’s class features four ESPN300 prospects with No. 19 Keller Chryst (Palo Alto, Calif./Palo Alto High) playing the role as headliner. Among the top targets still on the board are No. 31 Solomon Thomas (Coppell, Texas/Coppell High) and No. 153 Dalton Schultz (South Jordan, Utah/Bingham High).
3. Arizona State, 15 commits: The No. 35 nationally ranked Sun Devils’ class includes three ESPN300 prospects, including cornerback Tyler Whiley (Scottsdale, Ariz./Chaparral High) and quarterback Manny Wilkins (Novato, Calif./San Marin High). Four-star running back Demario Richard (Palmdale, Calif./Palmdale High) is one of a number of top targets remaining in play.
4. Washington, 9 commits: The Huskies' nine commitments include a trio of ESPN 300 prospects, including No. 187 Erik Brown (Fontana, Calif./Summit High). Among the top targets remaining are No. 100 Joe Mixon (Oakley, Calif./Freedom High), offensive tackle Layth Friekh (Peoria, Ariz./Centennial High) and junior college defensive lineman Claudeson Pelon (Mesa, Ariz./Mesa Community College).
5. Oregon, 9 commits: The Ducks’ current nine-man class features ESPN300 prospects No. 30 Arrion Springs (San Antonio, Texas/Theodore Rosevelt High), No. 154 Royce Freeman (Imperial, Calif./Imperial High) and No. 164 Tony James (Gainesville, Fla./Gainesville High). A few of the top targets still considering Oregon are No. 41 John Smith (Long Beach, Calif./Polytechnic High), No. 43 Michiah Quick (Fresno, Calif./Central East High), No. 100 Joe Mixon (Oakley, Calif./Freedom High), No. 141 Bishard Baker (Bellevue, Wash./Bellevue High) and No. 193 Mattrell McGraw (River Ridge, La./John Curtis High).
6. USC, 8 commits: The Trojans sit outside the top 40 national rankings with eight commitments, including four ESPN300 prospects. After a new coach is hired and on the recruiting trail, prospects such as No. 6 Adoree’ Jackson (Gardena, Calif./Junipero Serra High), No. 8 Speedy Noil (New Orleans, La./Edna Karr High), No. 15 David Sharpe (Jacksonville, Fla./Providence School), No. 17 Jalen Tabor (Washington, D.C./Friendship Collegiate Academy) No. 23 and Florida commit Dalvin Cook (Miami/Central High) and a number of others could step foot on campus for official visits.
7. California, 11 commits: The Golden Bears' class is headlined by ESPN300 prospects Devante Downs (Mountlake Terrace, Wash./Mountlake Terrace High) and wide receiver Jalen Harvey (El Cerrito, Calif./El Cerrito High). Among the top targets still undecided considering Cal are No. 41 John Smith (Long Beach, Calif./Polytechnic High), No. 43 Michiah Quick (Fresno, Calif./Central East High), No. 100 Joe Mixon (Oakley, Calif./Freedom High) and No. 242 Brandon Lee (Indianapolis, Ind./Lawrence Central High).
8. UCLA, 9 commits: The Bruins closed with a flourish in 2013, and have that look again in 2014 with a class of nine commitments, including No. 173 overall Austin Roberts (Carmel, Ind./Carmel High) and No. 179 Adarius Pickett (El Cerrito, Calif./El Cerrito High). UCLA has a slew of prospects still on the board, and the list includes No. 6 Adoree’ Jackson (Gardena, Calif./Junipero Serra), No. 27 Malachi Dupre (River Ridge, La./John Curtis High), No. 31 Solomon Thomas (Coppell, Texas/Coppell High), No. 41 John Smith (Long Beach, Calif./Polytechnic High) and No. 141 Bishard Baker (Bellevue, Wash./Bellevue High).
9. Utah, 11 commits: The Utes' class consists of nine three-star’s, including offensive tackles Kenyon Frison (West Valley City, Utah/Granger High) and Jackson Barton (Salt Lake City, Utah/Brighton High). Junior college cornerback Demarlon Morris (Mesa, Ariz./Mesa Community College) and three-star athlete Dacorius Law (Haines City, Fla./Haines City High) are two of many prospects the Utes remain after.
10. Washington State, 14 commits: Washington State currently has 13 three-star prospects in the class with the headliner being quarterback Peyton Bender (Fort Lauderdale, Fla./Cardinal Gibbons High). Offensive guard Kammy Delp (Pomona Calif./Diamond Ranch High), Arkansas cornerback commit Christopher Murphy (Marietta, Ga./Lassiter High) and defensive lineman Uriah-Dillon Leiataua (Compton, Calif./Dominguez High) are three of many prospects still considering the Cougars.
11. Colorado, 14 commits: The Buffaloes' class features 12 three-star prospects, including high upside offensive tackle Elijah Rodriguez (Houston/Cypress Creek High) and defensive end Sam Bennion (Logan, Utah/Logan High). Defensive lineman Uriah-Dillon Leiataua (Compton, Calif./Dominguez High) is a top target scheduled to officially visit in December.
12. Oregon State, 14 commits: The Beavers currently have 14 commitments, with 13 being rated as three-star prospects, including quarterback Tanner Sanders (Corvallis, Ore./Crescent Valley High). Four-star running back Squally Canada (Milpitas, Calif./Milpitas High) and wide receiver Jalen Brown (Phoenix/Mountain Pointe High) are two of many still on the board for Oregon State.