- Garry Paskwietz, Publisher, WeAreSC.com
Random recruiting thoughts on a Tuesday afternoon:
• I’m anxious to see Max Browne and Justin Davis in action at the Northern California Nike Camp event May 20. Davis will have already announced by then, so it’s entirely possible that it will be an opportunity to watch two of the key offensive skill players of USC's future. Browne will also participate in the Elite 11 regional camp on the Friday before the Nike Camp.
• It sounds like the Trojans had a solid weekend visit from Ty Isaac and his parents. Now it’s just a matter of waiting to hear which way the decision goes. It will likely be a USC vs. Michigan decision, and the Trojans appear to have given him a lot to think about.
• Wide receiver recruiting has taken an interesting turn. A couple weeks ago there didn’t seem to be any clear choices, but now there is a verbal from Eldridge Massington and an offer to an in-state receiver in Darrell Daniels. It’s hard to imagine the Trojans taking more than two receivers in this class. Daniels will also be at the Nike Camp on the 20th.
• Where are the California offensive linemen this year? There seem to be a lot of very good players but a shortage of “elite” talent.
• USC finally stepped up with an offer for Eddie Vanderdoes but looks to have a real battle on its hands with Oregon. Don’t be at all surprised if these two conference leaders are the ones fighting it out for the athletic big man.
• Michael Hutchings has been clear about his positive feelings toward USC. He is also in contact with several other USC recruits, including guys such as Browne, Davis and Su'a Cravens, with talk of playing together in college. With Cravens scheduling to announce his decision in less than a month (the Trojans are the heavy favorite), it could just be a matter of time before we see Hutchings follow suit.
• Cravens is obviously huge as a potential verbal. All signs still point to the Trojans, but he will take trips to Nebraska and Michigan before his announcement. One other scenario developing with West Coast DB’s is the impact that LSU is making with several players including Max Redfield, Priest Willis and Tahaan Goodman. Obviously it’s going to be hard for any SEC school to come out West and grab three such talented players, but the Tigers are getting a lot of interest from them so far.