* Lane Kiffin called wide receiver George Farmer the MVP of day 1 of spring ball. It certainly came as no surprise to those watching. Early on in the day, I wrote next to Farmer's name in my notes: "Locked in." Kiffin said Farmer was playing with confidence and it showed. He made several nice catches, including one on a deep ball down the sideline where he went high over Isiah Wiley and came down with the ball while falling to the ground.
* Injury report: Kevin Greene (ankle), Josh Shaw (back), Nathan Guertler (hamstring), Jesse Scroggins (hip), Robert Woods (ankle), Torin Harris, Christian Heyward, Kyle Negrete, Christian Thomas, Chad Wheeler and DeVante Wilson. Greene and Woods took part in some of Tuesday's practice. Kiffin said Harris, Heyward, Negrete, Thomas, Wheeler and Wilson would all likely be out for all of spring. During practice, tight ends Xavier Grimble and Junior Pomee were injured and did not return to action.
* Not really any surprises with the starting lineups. Defensively, it was Wes Horton, George Uko, J.R. Tavai and Devon Kennard up front, Dion Bailey, Lamar Dawson and Hayes Pullard at linebacker, and Nickell Robey, T.J. McDonald, Jawanza Starling and Wiley in the secondary. Offensively, the line read Kevin Graf, Marcus Martin, Khaled Holmes, John Martinez and Aundrey Walker from left to right. Cyrus Hobbi took a few reps at left guard with the first team, and moved there for good when Martin left early for class. Matt Barkley started at quarterback.
* Cody Kessler was consistently the second quarterback in, although Kiffin said the reps between the backup quarterbacks would be split evenly until it becomes clear that there no longer needs to be an even split. Kiffin praised both Kessler and Max Wittek in how they threw the ball and said it looks like they have been at USC for a while.
* Barkley's first pass of a 7-on-7 drill was intercepted by Pullard. Wiley added an interception of Barkley later in the evening, and Drew McAllister also tallied an interception of Wittek.