Roundtable: Top five wishes
January, 12, 2012
By WeAreSC staff | ESPN.com
John Albright/Icon SMIZach Banner's size and long-term potential have made him as the top recruit on the board for two of the three panelists.Give your top five names to fill the remaining spots in the USC recruiting class.
1. Zach Banner – There is just something about Banner that seems to fit with the Trojans. He’s a real athletic guy in a real big body, and he would make a huge bookend at tackle if he were to be paired with Aundrey Walker some day.
2. Isaac Seumalo – This could qualify as the surprise of the recruiting class. A technician at guard, nobody blinked an eye when the No. 2-rated guard in the country committed to Oregon State because of the presence of his dad and brother in Corvallis. Now it looks as if Seumalo will take a long look at USC, and he would be a perfect fit along the offensive line for the Trojans.
3. Ellis McCarthy – This one is far from over even though McCarthy made an announcement on television for Cal. Look for Ed Orgeron to make a big push here at the end to land this big man with so much potential.
4. Aziz Shittu – Shittu has been all over the place in the recruiting process so it’s pretty tough to get a read on where exactly he stands. However, if USC can swing McCarthy then the feeling is that Aziz could soon follow as the final piece to a terrific DL class. At least that’s the way the Trojans are hoping it will play out.
5. Nelson Agholor – This should come down the wire between USC and Florida. Obviously the Gators are a local school with a new offensive coordinator who will play a big role in Nelson’s decision, but he also has a lot of familiarity with USC and many of the Trojans players so he could easily make the trip out west.
1. Nelson Agholor - Each year there seems to be a terrific out-of-state talent who "gets" USC from an early stage. This year it is the talented Florida receiver. Agholor formed bonds with many Trojans players during two unofficial visits to USC, and a late January visit could help seal the deal for Lane Kiffin and staff.
2. Zach Banner - The big offensive tackle narrowed his choices to Oklahoma and USC and is another one of those out-of-state players who seems to be drawn to Los Angeles and the Trojans. The weather, the big city and the need for linemen all figure to help USC land Banner on signing day.
3. Ellis McCarthy - Though McCarthy announced for California, this battle between the Trojans and Golden Bears will likely go all the way to signing day. Ed Orgeron could be the perfect position coach for McCarthy at the next level, and the USC staff will have several weeks to convince the defensive tackle of that.
4. Tyriq McCord - I'm guessing USC grabs one of the two big linemen from Florida -- Leonard Williams being the other -- and I'll go with McCord, who called his unofficial to USC the best visit he has taken. He'll officially visit USC in January, and if the Trojans staff can overcome the distance issue (which will definitely be a factor here) they could add a very talented defensive end.
5. Isaac Seumalo - This might be a bit of pie-in-the-sky thinking, but Seumalo strikes me as one of those coach’s kids who doesn't do anything in recruiting just for the fun of it. He understands the process and knows what he's doing in taking a visit to USC this weekend. The Oregon State program doesn't exactly seem to be poised for a big run in the Pac-12, and nobody would have a better read on that than Seumalo. USC could definitely do with another guard prospect in this class, so Hiva Lutui could come into play for this spot as well.
1. Zach Banner - All of his comments regarding the Trojans seem to put a distance between the Cardinal and Gold and the closest competitor, Oklahoma. He seems to love the L.A. glitz and speaks glowingly about the area and coaching staff. He has continued to do this the entire process, and once he eliminated the local Huskies, he appears to be the Trojans to lose.
2. Nelson Agholor - Since he has been to L.A. before his upcoming official visit, it leads to me to believe this is more than just “a nice recruiting vacation.” He has been all too quiet and if you read his quotes, he continues to speak highly of the Trojans. Is he one of those valued “silent” commits?
3. Kyle Murphy - I am putting Murphy on this list, but I still think he will end up at Stanford. There is opportunity for Murphy at Troy, big opportunity, and Orange County is a tremendous USC area for networking after college. This is a smart kid who will make the best decision for him.
4. D.J. Foster - With Foster’s fired Arizona high school coach a potential candidate to join the new ASU staff, the odds might have moved away from the Trojans. However, there is again real opportunity to be a future USC tailback with the departure of Amir Carlisle, so there is a Trojans chance, especially combined with the recruiting skills of Kennedy Polamalu.
5. Aziz Shittu - Aziz seems to relish the fun aspect of recruiting and has kept people guessing more than most. If he, too, doesn’t go to Stanford or Cal, I think he will be a Trojan. Why? Stanford speaks for itself, but as for Cal, I don’t think he wants to be part Cal’s defensive line haul. I think he want to be the man and not just a part. It also seems to me that his personality to made for the Los Angeles media market and he knows it. Then, of course, there is the Ed Orgeron factor. You really think that “O” is going to be shutout on premier D-line talent?
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35