Big 12 lunchtime links
January, 7, 2014
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com
Worlds collided for Nebraska coach Bo Pelini.
- Charlie Strong was introduced as Texas' new coach Monday. Strong passed his first test, in the opinion of the Dallas Morning News' Tim Cowlishaw. Strong isn't Mack Brown, writes the paper's Chuck Carlton, but he can still make an impression.
- Strong's hiring is the first step in changing the culture in Austin, writes the Fort Worth Star-Telegram's Mac Engel. Strong talked about being tough and winning championships, which is exactly what Texas fans wanted to hear. One prominent Texas booster, however, wasn't pleased with the hire.
- Iowa State is bringing Mark Mangino back to the Big 12 to be its offensive coordinator. The Des Moines Register's Bryce Miller calls the hire coach Paul Rhoads' first win of 2014. The paper's Randy Peterson said Mangino was as good a get as Iowa State could have hoped for.
- The Cyclones had some other staff changes.
- Baylor running back Lache Seastrunk declared for the NFL Draft.
- The Sooners picked up a commitment from a four-star offensive guard. Bob Stoops said he doesn't care what former players think. Stoops will not be interviewing with the Cleveland Browns after all, and says his full intention is to stay at Oklahoma. The Sooners had two players named to the FWAA Freshman All-America Team.
- West Virginia QB Clint Trickett told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette's Stephen J. Nesbitt he has no regrets about transferring from Florida State, even though the Seminoles just won the national title.
HORNSNATION RECRUITING NEWS
TEXAS FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Max Olson retweeted
- Chip Brown retweeted
- Mack Brown retweeted
2014 Big 12 STANDINGS
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final North Dakota State 34 Iowa State 14 Final West Virginia 23 2 Alabama 33 Final Louisiana Tech 16 4 Oklahoma 48 Final Samford 14 TCU 48 Final Central Arkansas 35 Texas Tech 42 Final Stephen F. Austin 16 20 Kansas State 55 Final North Texas 7 Texas 38 Final 1 Florida State 37 Oklahoma State 31