Five thoughts on the '14 Big 12 schedule
November, 6, 2013
By Jake Trotter | ESPN.com
The Big 12 released its 2014 schedule Tuesday. Five quick thoughts on the schedule:
- Oklahoma State and Texas Tech play the first Big 12 game on a Thursday night in Stillwater on Sept. 25 in what should be a compelling matchup. This will be a critical game for both teams. The Red Raiders have a very favorable schedule next year. If they can get out of Stillwater with a victory, their next toughest road game will probably be the following weekend at Kansas State. And Tech will have an extra day to prepare.
- Oklahoma State coach Mike Gundy expressed concern about loading up the nonconference schedule. You can see why. The Cowboys have a brutal slate next year. Oklahoma State opens with Florida State in the Cowboys Classic at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Oklahoma State then closes out the season with back-to-back road tilts at Baylor and Oklahoma.
- We’ll find out quickly whether TCU will be improved. In October, the Horned Frogs play OU, at Baylor, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech. Considering three of those games will be in Fort Worth, TCU has an opportunity for a bounce-back season.
- I know the game was agreed to years ago, but why play North Dakota State in your opener if you’re Iowa State? There’s nothing to gain. And, as Kansas State found out, a whole bunch to lose against the best program in the FCS.
- Texas will have a defining two-week stretch in early October. The Longhorns face Baylor in Austin on Oct. 4, then take on Oklahoma in Dallas on Oct. 11. The rest of the Longhorns’ schedule is pretty tough, too. Texas plays BYU and UCLA early in the season, then later has to go on the road to Texas Tech and Oklahoma State.
ESPN Films Presents: Nixon's National Champs - Nixon vs. Paterno
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State