- Ivan Maisel, College Football Senior Writer
- 0 Shares
1. Everybody knows it’s tough to follow a legendary coach. We’re about to find out how tough it is to follow a legendary athletic director. But when Steve Patterson takes over for DeLoss Dodds at Texas, he will be changing the way that Texas has operated for 32 years. He will have to replace legendary football (Mack Brown) and baseball (Augie Garrido) coaches sooner rather than later. And Patterson will be expected to make every decision correctly from the day he sets foot on the 40 Acres. No pressure there at all.
2. Among the four AQ conferences split into divisions, who are the only two coaches undefeated in their own divisions since the beginning of the 2012 season? Urban Meyer at Ohio State, obviously, since he is unbeaten against everyone. The other is UCLA’s Jim Mora, who takes a 7-0 record in the Pac-12 South to Arizona on Saturday night. Mora is 1-6 against the Pac-12 North, which is a reflection of both the relative strength of the two divisions and the fact that UCLA has played Stanford three times and Oregon once.
3. Arkansas head coach Bret Bielema is still looking for his first SEC victory and is one loss away from his first losing record after seven seasons at Wisconsin. But according to Bielema, the honeymoon continues. “If we weren’t doing things right, if we didn’t have kids believing in what we were saying, we’d be having problems right now,” Bielema said Monday. “We’d have kids that would be erupting on the sidelines. We’d have kids that are being problems in the classroom or doing some things that are just really disruptive to what’s going on and everybody just keeps humming, everybody just keeps sawing wood, everybody just keeps moving themselves in the right path.”
1. Everybody knows it’s tough to follow a legendary coach. We’re about to find out how tough it is to follow a legendary athletic director.