Big 12 Week 7: Did you know?
October, 11, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
Thanks to the fine work of the folks of ESPN Stats & Info and a sports information department near you, we’re ending the week with a large heaping of knowledge in the form of numbers. Did you know …
- Baylor has now won eight straight games, but seven of its last eight losses have come on the road.
- Only three teams in the country have both a top-10 offense and top-20 defense: Baylor, Florida State and Washington.
- Baylor's defense has forced three-and-outs on 29 of 62 possessions (46.8%), which ranked second-best in FBS.
- The Bears also lead the nation in tackles for loss this season with an average of 10.3 per game.
- The last time they met in Lubbock, Iowa State knocked off then No. 20 Texas Tech 41-7 in 2011 for its largest margin of victory against a ranked team in school history.
- ISU quarterback Sam Richardson set career highs in passing yards (262) and total yards (345) last week against Texas. He's thrown a touchdown pass in seven straight games.
- The Cyclones haven't given up more than 36 points in regulation since Oct. 2011. That streak ranks second-longest behind Florida.
- Iowa State is the best team in the Big 12 at converting on fourth downs, moving the chains on five of seven attempts.
- Last week against Texas Tech, Kansas held an opponent scoreless in the first quarter for the first time since Nov. 26, 2011 against Missouri.
- Connor Embree's 127 yards in punt returns for Kansas this season are more than KU's combined total in each of the past three seasons.
- The Jayhawks are averaging 194.5 passing yards per game in victories and 195.0 passing yards per game in losses.
- Kansas' defense has already recorded 10 sacks on the year and is one away from tying last year's season total.
- Kansas State held Oklahoma State to less than 400 yards last Saturday, a feat that has only happened one other time in OSU's past 31 games.
- KSU is now ranked No. 1 in FBS in punt returns at an impressive clip of 26.8 yards per return.
- In two of the Wildcat's three losses this season, they held the lead after three quarters. Yet they've also finished 0-3 when tied or trailing after the first quarter.
- K-State goes into this weekend's home test against No. 15 Baylor with an all-time record of 4-0 against the Bears when they play in Manhattan.
- Bob Stoops has a chance to improve to 10-5 in his career against Texas on Saturday. His Sooners have now won 10 straight Big 12 games.
- Blake Bell has not thrown an interception in his last 120 pass attempts dating back to last season. His opponent this week, Case McCoy, also has also not thrown an interception this season.
- In their past three wins in this rivalry, OU has outgained Texas in total yardage by an average of 189.7 yards per game.
- Oklahoma is outscoring opponents 57-0 in the second quarter this season.
- Going into its game against TCU next week, Oklahoma State has won six straight home games, dating back to its Big 12 opener against Texas in 2012.
- Tyler Patmon made his first start for Oklahoma State last week against KSU. The graduate transfer had previously started 32 career games at Kansas.
- The Cowboys have now had at least one scoring drive of two minutes or less in 43 of their past 44 games.
- OSU committed only one penalty against K-State, a feat that's only been achieved eight other times in school history.
- In beating Iowa State last Thursday, Texas has now on 19 of its last 21 games decided by 3 points or less.
- Six different Texas players have recorded at least one reception of 45 or more yards this season.
- Jackson Jeffcoat's game-clinching interception against Iowa State was the first pick by a Longhorn defensive lineman since 2009.
- In Mack Brown's 16 seasons at Texas, the Longhorns have now recorded 19 fourth-quarter comeback wins and 30 second-half comebacks.
- TCU has yet to win back-to-back games this season. The Horned Frogs are 26-8 in the regular season following a loss under Gary Patterson.
- Another mark of the Patterson era: TCU is 64-4 when its offense produces 200-plus rushing yards. The Frogs have surpassed 200 just once this season, in a loss at Texas Tech.
- In its last 24 home games, TCU has outscored opponents by an average margin of 42-16.
- Opposing quarterbacks are completing just 54.3 percent of their pass attempts against TCU this season.
- Kansas was the first opponent to take a lead on Texas Tech this season when it went ahead 10-0 early. The Red Raiders responded with 20 second-quarter points.
- The Red Raiders put up 54 unanswered points on KU, a feat they hadn't achieved since racking up 61 straight on Northwestern State in 2007.
- Texas Tech has a chance against Iowa State this week to extend its school-record scoring streak to 200 consecutive games.
- Tech also has a chance this week, for the first time in school history, to win by double digits in each of its first six games of the season.
- West Virginia is also on a bye this weekend. The four major-conference opponents it has faced this season -- Oklahoma, Maryland, Oklahoma State and Baylor -- are a combined 17-2 in 2013.
- WVU QBs Clint Trickett and Paul Millard have now each attempted exactly 80 passes this season. Millard is completing 61 percent for 581 yards with one interception. Trickett is completing 41 percent for 470 yards and three picks.
- Kevin White became the Mountaineers' first 100-yard receiver in a game this season against Baylor.
- Since 2000, West Virginia has returned 19 interceptions for touchdowns and has 49 special teams/defensive touchdowns.
Scene & Heard: 2014 Season Storylines
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin Kansas State 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas