Big 12 lunch links
September, 11, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
Not exactly a tough day to come up with some Oklahoma State links...
- Part II of the Sports Illustrated investigation, entitled "The Academics," is now online, as is a summary from The Oklahoman. Berry Tramel thinks Oklahoma State needs to change its defiant tone about the reports. Former OSU QB Josh Field denies he ever took money. As does Aso Pogi. Fath' Carter, another key source, stands by what he told SI. Here's a fuller recap of all the players named in part I. Former Pokes defend John Talley, who reportedly paid players. OSU starts a website to keep fans updated on its response to the SI investigation, with one of the two SI reporters defends the story.
- The Sooners are fortunate to be flexible at quarterback, writes John Shinn of The Norman Transcript. Would a strong game from Blake Bell against Tulsa ensure the job is his? Communication has improved a Sooners defense that Gabe Lynn admits used to be "soft." OU landed a commitment from a Dallas-area offensive lineman.
- Kansas isn't overlooking Rice QB Taylor McHargue after he beat KU last year. Charlie Weis explains how to buy hands at Kmart, and he's out to end KU's 19-game road losing streak.
- Texas quarterback David Ash missed practice on Tuesday but is still day-to-day for the Ole Miss game. Texas RB coach Larry Porter is accused of paying players in the SI investigation. Would 10 wins still be enough to save Mack Brown's job, or will BYU be his signature loss? Is USC or Texas more likely to rebound this season? Here's a brief video of Greg Robinson coaching in one of his first Texas practices.
- Monday's Sports Illustrated report is a black eye for West Virginia's Joe DeForest, who is accused of paying players. Head coach Dana Hologorsen considered 7 points against Oklahoma "embarrassing." WVU players are nursing injuries after the OU game.
- A bye week will give several key Baylor players time to recover from injuries. Baylor gets the ESPNU All-Access treatment today.
- Bill Snyder is worried about complacency as KSU prepares for Massachusetts. Are Jake Waters' days as the starter numbered? Jack Cantele has been a capable successor to Anthony Cantele for Kansas State.
- Texas Tech game on the road is now a must-win for TCU. Gary Patterson thinks Casey Pachall would qualify for a medical redshirt if he ones one.
- The Iowa State defense is looking for some redemption against Iowa this year. Luke Knott is ready to make some Cy-Hawk memories of his own. Paul Rhoads breaks down the ISU rushing defense.
- Texas Tech and TCU renew their rivalry Thursday, and the Frogs haven't won in Lubbock since 1991. Jackson Richards' move to nose guard is paying off for Tech.
In Focus With Charlie Strong
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin Kansas State 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas