Big 12 lunchtime links
August, 29, 2013
By Brandon Chatmon | ESPN.com
Johnny Savings is in the building ladies and gentlemen ...
- It's "Big 12 or bust" for Baylor this season, reports the Waco Tribune's John Werner. Also, the Bears' defense is hoping to be a lot better this season. And Bryce Petty is ready to take over the explosive BU offense.
- Baylor is using the heat to prepare and run its uptempo attack, writes Brice Cherry of the Waco Tribune.
- Iowa State hasn't forgotten about its 20-19 comeback win against Northern Iowa in 2011. The Cyclones are using that experience to make sure they don't overlook UNI this weekend, writes Bobby La Gesse of the Ames Tribune.
- Teammates have plenty of praise for Kansas quarterback Jake Heaps, reports Matt Tait of the Lawrence Journal World.
- You have to be a good learner to play quarterback for Charlie Weis, writes Rustin Dodd of the Wichita Eagle.
- North Dakota State provides a bigger test for Kansas State than many people realize, writes Kellis Robinett of the Wichita Eagle.
- Is there another Gronk on the horizon at K-State? Corbin McGuire has the story for the Topeka Capital-Journal.
- Oklahoma's offensive line has much better depth this season than a year ago, writes John Shinn of the Norman Transcript.
- Sooners coach Bob Stoops has opened his twitter account (@OU_CoachStoops) to the public. It's a change in philosophy for Stoops, writes The Oklahoman's Ryan Aber.
- Mississippi State will test Oklahoma State's toughness, writes Gina Mizell of the Oklahoman.
- As TCU's showdown with LSU rapidly approaches, the Horned Frogs 'need to relax,' says coach Gary Patterson. Stefan Stevenson has the report for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram.
- J.J. Gaines could be ready to step up in Texas Tech's secondary, writes the Lubbock Journal-Avalanche's Don Williams.
- Keep an eye on this freshman running back at West Virginia, writes Bob Hertzel of the Times West Virginian.
- A solid Week 1 preview from Athlon Sports.