Big 12 lunchtime links: OU names QB
August, 23, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
I get the feeling No. 13 seed "Paper Planes" is about to make a Cinderella run in Grantland's best bracket yet. On to the links:
- Bob Stoops made it official Thursday: He's going with Trevor Knight. Knight's parents are pretty thrilled about that news. Now the real pressure begins. The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson assesses the "gutsy" gamble by Stoops, while Berry Tramel welcomes the new Mobile QB Era at OU. The two best high school QBs in Oklahoma squared off Thursday.
- Meanwhile, at Oklahoma State, Mike Gundy decides he has two starting QBs. Calvin Barnett is ready to show off a more aggressive OSU defense. Gundy doesn't like how college teams are now playing "NFL-type schedules." John Klein of the Tulsa World argues this schedule could be advantageous for the Pokes.
- The $75 million renovations to Kansas State's Bill Snyder Family Stadium are complete, and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby is lauding the results. RB John Hubert named to the Tyler Rose Award watch list.
- Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman writes on Chris Simms entering the broadcast booth. Jackson Jeffcoat was one of only two Big 12 players to make the preseason All-Herbie Team. The USA Today's Paul Myerberg continues his excellent season preview series with a look at Texas.
- West Virginia coaches are satisfied with the depth of this year's team. The kicking game still has the potential to be problematic, though.
- Quarterback T.J. Millweard is transferring to Kansas after one year at UCLA. Tom Keegan of the Topeka Capital-Journal breaks down the biggest questions they Jayhawks are facing.
- Managing practice reps has been critical for Iowa State with so much inexperience on its roster. Holding on to top receiver commit Allen Lazard will be difficult for ISU. The Cyclones could've had two Sam Richardsons at QB. Richardson talks about the addition of receiver D'Vario Montgomery.
- Texas Tech's Sadale Foster embracing the three roles he'll play for Texas Tech. Kerry Hyder ready for a rematch with old high school foe and SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert.
- Former safety Marcus Anderson could be the answer at linebacker for TCU. Gary Patterson still standing pat on naming his starting quarterback.
- Art Briles hasn't visited Baylor's new stadium yet but vows it will "hard for anyone to top." The Bears don't expect their offense to slow down any in 2013.
Big 12 Weekend Wrap: Dec. 9
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State