Big 12 lunchtime links: OU names QB
August, 23, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
I get the feeling No. 13 seed "Paper Planes" is about to make a Cinderella run in Grantland's best bracket yet. On to the links:
- Bob Stoops made it official Thursday: He's going with Trevor Knight. Knight's parents are pretty thrilled about that news. Now the real pressure begins. The Oklahoman's Jenni Carlson assesses the "gutsy" gamble by Stoops, while Berry Tramel welcomes the new Mobile QB Era at OU. The two best high school QBs in Oklahoma squared off Thursday.
- Meanwhile, at Oklahoma State, Mike Gundy decides he has two starting QBs. Calvin Barnett is ready to show off a more aggressive OSU defense. Gundy doesn't like how college teams are now playing "NFL-type schedules." John Klein of the Tulsa World argues this schedule could be advantageous for the Pokes.
- The $75 million renovations to Kansas State's Bill Snyder Family Stadium are complete, and Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby is lauding the results. RB John Hubert named to the Tyler Rose Award watch list.
- Kirk Bohls of the Austin American-Statesman writes on Chris Simms entering the broadcast booth. Jackson Jeffcoat was one of only two Big 12 players to make the preseason All-Herbie Team. The USA Today's Paul Myerberg continues his excellent season preview series with a look at Texas.
- West Virginia coaches are satisfied with the depth of this year's team. The kicking game still has the potential to be problematic, though.
- Quarterback T.J. Millweard is transferring to Kansas after one year at UCLA. Tom Keegan of the Topeka Capital-Journal breaks down the biggest questions they Jayhawks are facing.
- Managing practice reps has been critical for Iowa State with so much inexperience on its roster. Holding on to top receiver commit Allen Lazard will be difficult for ISU. The Cyclones could've had two Sam Richardsons at QB. Richardson talks about the addition of receiver D'Vario Montgomery.
- Texas Tech's Sadale Foster embracing the three roles he'll play for Texas Tech. Kerry Hyder ready for a rematch with old high school foe and SMU quarterback Garrett Gilbert.
- Former safety Marcus Anderson could be the answer at linebacker for TCU. Gary Patterson still standing pat on naming his starting quarterback.
- Art Briles hasn't visited Baylor's new stadium yet but vows it will "hard for anyone to top." The Bears don't expect their offense to slow down any in 2013.
Strong Fires Up Crowd at Kickoff Rally
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech 4 Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin 20 Kansas State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas 8:00 PM ET 1 Florida State Oklahoma State