Lunch Links: QB indecision continues
August, 22, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
Would you like fries and an edible team logo with that?
- Kliff Kingsbury isn't afraid to play both QBs Davis Webb and Baker Mayfield against SMU if they deserve the reps. OC Sonny Cumbie says the decision is still a "coin flip." New running backs coach Mike Jinks explains how Kingsbury got him to leave his gig coaching San Antonio high school powerhouse Cibolo Steele. TE Jace Amaro ready for big season if he stays healthy.
- Lineman Parker Graham is Mr. Versatile up front for OSU. As first reported by ESPN.com's Damon Sayles, the Pokes are getting a transfer QB in freshman Richard Lagow, who recently left UConn. OSU also picked up a nice commitment Wednesday night from four-star Texas linebacker Josh Mabin.
- The Desmond Harrison eligibility saga is over after he was cleared by the NCAA, ensuring he can play this season. Watch Mack Brown welcome Harrison back to the team. Chuck Carlton of the Dallas Morning News writes on the relationship between Texas DE Jackson Jeffcoat and his ex-Cowboy father. SI's Andy Staples has Texas on top in his Big 12 season preview.
- Another day passes at OU without a decision on Trevor Knight vs. Blake Bell. No matter who wins the gig, they'll have a strong offensive line in front of them, writes Ryan Aber of The Oklahoman. RB Roy Finch is ready to live up to his potential. The Sooners play in the two biggest of Athlon's top 25 Big 12 games to watch. OU also No. 15 in USA Today's preseason countdown.
- This might be Art Briles' best collection of DEs in his Baylor tenure, writes John Werner of the Waco Tribune. Former Baylor back Terrance Ganaway is retiring from the NFL after one season and going back to school.
- Tommy Birch of the Des Moines Register breaks down why Paul Rhoads' fifth season could be his most challenging. WR D'vario Montgomery left USF for Iowa State to team up with QB Sam Richardson again. Ex-safety Jared Brackens making most of move to linebacker.
- Kansas freshmen are starting to figure out fall camp. New QB Jake Heaps wants to learn from Dayne Crist's mistakes.
- Like everyone else in the Big 12, Kansas State taking its time with its quarterback decision. Included on the 2014 SEC schedule released Wednesday: Auburn is set to visit Kansas State next season.
- Don't count out TCU's chances of knocking off LSU just yet. Gary Patterson didn't like Tuesday's practice but is a fan of the uniforms the Frogs will unveil on Friday.
- Juco transfer Kevin White is impressing and poised for a big year, writes Dave Hickman of the Charleston Gazette. A benching helped Darwin Cook figure out how to become a role model. The final member of WVU's 2013 recruiting class has been cleared by the NCAA.
Vance Bedford: Dream to be Back on Forty Acres
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35