Lunch links: Reverends, rappers, rushers
August, 20, 2013
By Max Olson | ESPN.com
Meet the ordained minister who moonlights as a 6-foot-8 defensive tackle.
- Is Trevor Knight the new starting quarterback at Oklahoma? That's not what Bob Stoops said Monday. Touted juco transfer DT Quincy Russell can start fully practicing with Oklahoma today and is still a bit of a mystery. Another former transfer, Lacoltan Bester, is on the rise and could start this fall, writes Jason Kersey of The Oklahoman.
- OSU linebacker Ryan Simmons learned how to win from playing hoops with his sister, who plays at Tennessee now. Safety Daytawion Lowe is likely in line to see his workload reduced. Josh Stewart is No. 3 on this list of most important Cowboys entering 2013. Also, a nice look at OSU's struggles to get off the field on long drives.
- New Kansas quarterback Jake Heaps is not an ostrich and might be pretty good this fall. Heaps and three other Jayhawks have been named captains, and Charlie Weis hopes they make up for a "void of leadership" in 2012. Rustin Dodd of the Kansas City Star also details Weis' plan for a leadership council. Senior receiver Josh Ford is ahead of OU transfer Justin McCay for a starting job.
- Texas quarterback David Ash had polite things to say about Johnny Manziel and his plight. SI's Stewart Mandel writes on the maturation of Ash. Receiver Mike Davis feeling rejuvenated entering his senior year, writes Randy Riggs of the Austin American-Statesman. Guess which former Longhorn was deemed Athlon's No. 1 player of the BCS era?
- Backup QBs Seth Russell and Chris Johnson are waiting for their turn at Baylor, writes John Werner of the Waco Tribute. The guy they're backing up is atop this list of potential breakout Big 12 players.
- Expectations are still high at TCU despite recent personnel issues, according to Stefan Stevenson of the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. Might this be the new helmet the Frogs will soon announce they're wearing for the LSU game?
- Iowa State trying to divy up reps for five running backs these days. Paul Rhoads is trying to capitalize on the rise of nearby juco powerhouse Iowa Western and is building a pipeline.
- Transfer running backs Charles Sims and Dreamius Smith are giving West Virginia lots of options on offense. More on Smith, a former Kansas signee, in this feature from Stephen J. Nesbitt of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Mountaineer defenders say being smarter is best solution to new targeting rule. WVU is in the hunt to have "The South's Best Tailgate" as awarded by Southern Living.
- Respected Texas scout Randy Rodgers breaks down what walk-on Baker Mayfield brings to the table for Texas Tech. The Dallas Morning News' Chuck Carlton predicts Davis Webb will win the Tech starting QB job. A former Tech linebacker and "Real World: Portland" participant is now getting into the rap game.
- No surprise to anyone here, but numbers suggest Bill Snyder got more out of KSU in 2012 than anything we've seen in five years. Replacing Arthur Brown isn't easy, but it's Ken Corbitt of the The Topeka Capital- Journal writes that it's the task Blake Slaughter faces.
Must-Get Big 12 Recruit
BIG 12 SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET North Dakota State Iowa State 3:30 PM ET West Virginia Alabama 7:00 PM ET Louisiana Tech Oklahoma 7:00 PM ET Samford TCU 7:00 PM ET Central Arkansas Texas Tech 7:10 PM ET Stephen F. Austin Kansas State 8:00 PM ET Florida State Oklahoma State 8:00 PM ET North Texas Texas