Texas A&M Aggies: Tyler Colquitt
Strange seeing legions of soccer fans cheering about losses and ties, but that's World Cup group play for you. Next up in the knockout rounds, they'll settle any ties with a penalty-kick shootout. Seems only slightly more fair. At least college football has the Kansas tiebreaker and not some kind of punt, pass and catch exhibition.
- Auburn assistant Rodney Garner admits he had a lot to do with safety Tray Matthews transferring from Georgia earlier this month, but says he has "no concerns" about Matthews, who was arrested in the spring and then later dismissed.
- After the transfers of two quarterbacks this offseason -- Stephen Rivers (Vanderbilt) and Hayden Rettig (Rutgers) -- Les Miles is looking for some depth. Now that pocket passer Zach Mettenberger is in the NFL, it's clear the Tigers' future at the position lies with dual-threat athletes.
- Georgia's Todd Gurley leads Athlon's rankings of the SEC's top 25 running backs.
- NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah lists Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi as his No. 1 senior offensive tackle for the 2015 draft. LSU's La'El Collins ranks No. 3.
- Alabama' Kirby Smart is the No. 1 coordinator in college football, topping a list that also includes LSU's John Chavis, Texas A&M's Jake Spavital, Georgia's Jeremy Pruitt, and Florida's Kurt Roper.
- Missouri AD Mike Alden talks about taking action this spring when off-the-field incidents piled up to an intolerable level.
- The Knoxville Police Department recently welcomed the Tennessee football team to its training facility in an effort to build a positive relationship. Senior linebacker Curt Maggitt called it a "team-building event."
- Florida’s final 2014 signees have reported.
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema announced Thursday that he gave scholarships to incoming freshmen defensive end Jake Hall and fullback Tyler Colquitt.
- Mississippi State DE Chris Jones, who has been hauling in plenty of preseason accolades, gives the Bulldogs' line hope in generating more pass rush this fall.
- South Carolina participated in a charity fundraiser while a handful of players, including freshman WR Shaq Davidson, sat out with injuries.
Zwerneman previews Texas A&M season
TBD Bowling Green Tennessee TBD Wisconsin Alabama TBD UTEP Arkansas TBD Louisville Auburn TBD New Mexico State Florida TBD Louisiana-Monroe Georgia TBD Louisiana-Lafayette Kentucky TBD McNeese State LSU TBD Southeast Missouri State Missouri TBD Tennessee-Martin Ole Miss TBD Mississippi State Southern Miss TBD Arizona State Texas A&M TBD Western Kentucky Vanderbilt