Texas A&M Aggies: Stephen Rivers
Strange seeing legions of soccer fans cheering about losses and ties, but that's World Cup group play for you. Next up in the knockout rounds, they'll settle any ties with a penalty-kick shootout. Seems only slightly more fair. At least college football has the Kansas tiebreaker and not some kind of punt, pass and catch exhibition.
- Auburn assistant Rodney Garner admits he had a lot to do with safety Tray Matthews transferring from Georgia earlier this month, but says he has "no concerns" about Matthews, who was arrested in the spring and then later dismissed.
- After the transfers of two quarterbacks this offseason -- Stephen Rivers (Vanderbilt) and Hayden Rettig (Rutgers) -- Les Miles is looking for some depth. Now that pocket passer Zach Mettenberger is in the NFL, it's clear the Tigers' future at the position lies with dual-threat athletes.
- Georgia's Todd Gurley leads Athlon's rankings of the SEC's top 25 running backs.
- NFL.com analyst Daniel Jeremiah lists Texas A&M's Cedric Ogbuehi as his No. 1 senior offensive tackle for the 2015 draft. LSU's La'El Collins ranks No. 3.
- Alabama' Kirby Smart is the No. 1 coordinator in college football, topping a list that also includes LSU's John Chavis, Texas A&M's Jake Spavital, Georgia's Jeremy Pruitt, and Florida's Kurt Roper.
- Missouri AD Mike Alden talks about taking action this spring when off-the-field incidents piled up to an intolerable level.
- The Knoxville Police Department recently welcomed the Tennessee football team to its training facility in an effort to build a positive relationship. Senior linebacker Curt Maggitt called it a "team-building event."
- Florida’s final 2014 signees have reported.
- Arkansas coach Bret Bielema announced Thursday that he gave scholarships to incoming freshmen defensive end Jake Hall and fullback Tyler Colquitt.
- Mississippi State DE Chris Jones, who has been hauling in plenty of preseason accolades, gives the Bulldogs' line hope in generating more pass rush this fall.
- South Carolina participated in a charity fundraiser while a handful of players, including freshman WR Shaq Davidson, sat out with injuries.
Johnny Manziel will throw out the first pitch in tonight's Cleveland Indians game. It's a safe bet he won't go all 50 Cent on us.
- Safety Tray Matthews, who was dismissed by Georgia on Tuesday, is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday in Athens, Ga., along with two Bulldogs players and one other former player on charges of theft by deception. Matthews, defensive end James DeLoach, defensive lineman Jon Taylor, and former UGA wide receiver Uriah LeMay were arrested in March for illegally cashing scholarship checks twice.
- After two of Texas A&M's key sophomore defensive players were arrested and kicked off the team on Tuesday, some are wondering what it's going to take to keep the Aggies out of jail. Seven players have been arrested since the end of last season. Tuesday's arrest was the third in seven months for ex-LB Darian Claiborne. It was the second offseason arrest for dismissed DT Isaiah Golden.
- The Miami Hurricanes have reportedly been approached about playing a kickoff classic game against either Alabama in 2017 or LSU in 2018.
- Ole Miss defensive back Chief Brown tore his Achilles' heel in an offseason workout and will likely miss the 2014 season.
- Vanderbilt announced the transfer of former LSU quarterback Stephen Rivers, who can play right away. Head coach Derek Mason says he's excited about his QB competition this August.
- Six SEC players are among the Heisman Trophy favorites according to one Vegas sportsbook. They are Auburn QB Nick Marshall, South Carolina RB Mike Davis, Georgia RB Todd Gurley, Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott, and Alabama RBs T.J. Yeldon and Derrick Henry.
- One of Georgia's 2014 signees, wide receiver Gilbert Johnson, did not qualify academically.
- Two of Florida's games this fall -- at Alabama and vs. Georgia in Jacksonville, Fla. -- are among the most expensive tickets out there.
- Count Kentucky's Mark Stoops among the SEC coaches who favor an early signing period. But, he says, not too early.
- LSU's highly anticipated running back signee Leonard Fournette hung out with rapper Master P recently and ran a race.
- South Carolina will erect a statue of Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers outside of Williams-Brice Stadium.
Paul Finebaum: Farewell To Manziel
6:00 PM ET 21 Texas A&M 9 South Carolina 8:00 PM ET Boise State 18 Ole Miss 9:15 PM ET Temple Vanderbilt
12:00 PM ET Tennessee-Martin Kentucky 3:30 PM ET South Dakota State 24 Missouri 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Arkansas 6 Auburn 5:30 PM ET 16 Clemson 12 Georgia 7:00 PM ET Idaho Florida 7:30 PM ET Southern Miss Mississippi State 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU