Texas A&M Aggies: Sheldon Dawson
The weekend is fast approaching and bowl game action is beginning to heat up. Here are some headlines from around the league today to sink your teeth into:
- Auburn quarterback Nick Marshall's breakout season is the result of a second chance to shine in the SEC after the first one went by the wayside while he was at Georgia. After past mistakes, Marshall has shown much more maturity to help him reach this point.
- Alabama isn't certain which of Oklahoma's two quarterbacks it will see -- Trevor Knight or Blake Bell -- in the Allstate Sugar Bowl. Before leaving for New Orleans, safety Landon Collins said they've only looked at one so far.
- Texas A&M got its first look at the Georgia Dome during a practice there ahead of the Chick-fil-A Bowl and discussed the transition to new offensive coordinator Jake Spavital.
- Georgia coach Mark Richt isn't elaborating on the suspensions of Sheldon Dawson and Josh Harvey-Clemons for the Gator Bowl.
- Ole Miss backup quarterback Barry Brunetti has had an interesting and, at times, strange journey during his college football career, but he leaves with a certain comfort, saying that "With the opportunity I had, I fulfilled it."
- LSU arrived in Tampa for the Outback Bowl and one of the key players everyone is watching is quarterback Anthony Jennings, the true freshman who will start in place of the injured Zach Mettenberger.
- South Carolina's defensive backfield is very aware of Wisconsin's receivers, led by standout Jared Abbrederis.
- Former Missouri receiver Jason Ray, who was a captain on the Tigers' 2007 team, will be on the opposite sideline in the AT&T Cotton Bowl, as he is Oklahoma State's receivers coach.
- New Florida offensive coordinator Kurt Roper is excited about his new opportunity, but he still has a week of work to finish at his current place of employment, Duke.
- Vanderbilt sophomore running back Jerron Seymour needs just two touchdowns to break the school's single season rushing touchdown mark, set by Zac Stacy in 2011.
Hope everyone is enjoying their holiday season. We've started bowl season, too, so there are plenty of storylines across the league. Here are a few of them:
- What makes Auburn's running game so successful, and at times unstoppable? It's the multitude of concepts the Tigers employ, which AL.com breaks down here.
- Alabama defensive end LaMichael Fanning, who has been suspended since the middle of the season, will transfer to Jacksonville State.
- The family of a construction worker who fell to his death during the renovation project of Texas A&M's Kyle Field is suing six construction companies and contractors related to the project.
- Georgia will be without safety Josh Harvey-Clemons and cornerback Sheldon Dawson in the Taxslayer.com Gator Bowl on Jan. 1, as both were suspended for violating team rules.
- Missouri junior defensive end Kony Ealy, part of one of the best pass-rushing units in the country this season, is weighing whether to return to school or go pro.
- Injuries nagged South Carolina running back Mike Davis late in the season, but he says now that is "health is good," as the Gamecocks prepare for the Capital One Bowl.
- LSU's Travis Dural, who caught the game-winning touchdown against Arkansas, has been buried on the depth chart behind Odell Beckham and Jarvis Landry but could see his role grow significantly next year.
- In its search for an offensive coordinator, Florida's search has turned to Duke offensive coordinator Kurt Roper, whom Will Muschamp met with on Monday.
- With seniors Jordan Matthews and Jonathan Krause set to move on, Vanderbilt needs its younger receivers to develop quickly.
Drive Through: Top Early Games of the Season
6:00 PM ET 21 Texas A&M 9 South Carolina 8:00 PM ET Boise State 18 Ole Miss 9:15 PM ET Temple Vanderbilt
12:00 PM ET Tennessee-Martin Kentucky 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 3:30 PM ET South Dakota State 24 Missouri 4:00 PM ET Arkansas 6 Auburn 5:30 PM ET 16 Clemson 12 Georgia 7:00 PM ET Idaho Florida 7:30 PM ET Southern Miss Mississippi State 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU