Texas A&M Aggies: George Rogers
Johnny Manziel will throw out the first pitch in tonight's Cleveland Indians game. It's a safe bet he won't go all 50 Cent on us.
- Safety Tray Matthews, who was dismissed by Georgia on Tuesday, is scheduled to be arraigned on Thursday in Athens, Ga., along with two Bulldogs players and one other former player on charges of theft by deception. Matthews, defensive end James DeLoach, defensive lineman Jon Taylor, and former UGA wide receiver Uriah LeMay were arrested in March for illegally cashing scholarship checks twice.
- After two of Texas A&M's key sophomore defensive players were arrested and kicked off the team on Tuesday, some are wondering what it's going to take to keep the Aggies out of jail. Seven players have been arrested since the end of last season. Tuesday's arrest was the third in seven months for ex-LB Darian Claiborne. It was the second offseason arrest for dismissed DT Isaiah Golden.
- The Miami Hurricanes have reportedly been approached about playing a kickoff classic game against either Alabama in 2017 or LSU in 2018.
- Ole Miss defensive back Chief Brown tore his Achilles' heel in an offseason workout and will likely miss the 2014 season.
- Vanderbilt announced the transfer of former LSU quarterback Stephen Rivers, who can play right away. Head coach Derek Mason says he's excited about his QB competition this August.
- Six SEC players are among the Heisman Trophy favorites according to one Vegas sportsbook. They are Auburn QB Nick Marshall, South Carolina RB Mike Davis, Georgia RB Todd Gurley, Mississippi State QB Dak Prescott, and Alabama RBs T.J. Yeldon and Derrick Henry.
- One of Georgia's 2014 signees, wide receiver Gilbert Johnson, did not qualify academically.
- Two of Florida's games this fall -- at Alabama and vs. Georgia in Jacksonville, Fla. -- are among the most expensive tickets out there.
- Count Kentucky's Mark Stoops among the SEC coaches who favor an early signing period. But, he says, not too early.
- LSU's highly anticipated running back signee Leonard Fournette hung out with rapper Master P recently and ran a race.
- South Carolina will erect a statue of Heisman Trophy winner George Rogers outside of Williams-Brice Stadium.
Lots more NFL draft talk and a bit from spring practice as we take a spin around the SEC with today's lunchtime links.
- Kentucky announced Tuesday that it has extended Coach Mark Stoops' contract through the 2018 season.
- Jadeveon Clowney might become the top overall pick in the NFL draft on Thursday. His path to the draft stands in stark contrast to the days when fellow South Carolina great George Rogers was the top pick in 1981.
- Multiple reports emerged on Monday night saying that LSU's Zach Mettenberger and Anthony Johnson were among the players whose drug tests were flagged at the NFL combine.
- Among the subjects hit by Chip Towers of the AJC in his Tuesday morning notes column were the NFL prospects of former Georgia quarterbacks Mettenberger and Aaron Murray, the impending punishments for four UGA players who were arrested this spring and the opening of the trial of former Georgia coach Jim Donnan over his involvement in an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Jacob Coker has graduated from Florida State and arrived in Tuscaloosa to join the competition to become Alabama's next starting quarterback.
- Mike Evans has the chance to become the best former Texas A&M receiver to ever play in the NFL.
- The Gainesville Sun's Robbie Andreu grades Florida's performance during spring practice.
- The Tennesseean's Jeff Lockridge ranks the SEC programs' spring performances from worst to best.
- Athlon ranks this season's schedules in the SEC West in terms of difficulty.
- The Kansas City Star's Blair Kerkhoff writes that with no college football authority, the SEC looked out for itself with its conference scheduling decision.
Drive Through: Can Aggies Win The SEC?
12:00 PM ET Troy 13 Georgia 3:30 PM ET 6 Texas A&M SMU 3:30 PM ET Florida 3 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Indiana 18 Missouri 7:00 PM ET Northern Illinois Arkansas 7:00 PM ET Mississippi State 8 LSU 7:30 PM ET 14 South Carolina Vanderbilt