Texas A&M Aggies: David Wilkins
We're closing in on Week 6 in the SEC. Find out the latest rumblings in Thursday's sampling of news and notes from across the league.
- Alabama freshmen Reuben Foster, Derrick Henry and Altee Tenpenny are all having to change their jersey numbers because the UA coaches want to be able to use the trio on special teams.
- Georgia starting safety Tray Matthews joined Todd Gurley on the injury report after the freshman “tweaked” his hamstring in practice Wednesday.
- Texas A&M plans to use the open week to recover, both physically and mentally.
- The targeting rule has had a profound effect on the SEC this year, leading to penalties, ejections and even suspensions, but LSU coach Les Miles is a proponent for the rule. He said it has not affected his players.
- South Carolina wide receiver/punt return specialist David Wilkins walked on to the Gamecocks’ football team, but after just four games, he earned a scholarship from the coaching staff.
- When Dominique Easley went down for the season, Florida moved defensive end Jonathan Bullard inside to defensive tackle. He thrived in his first game against Kentucky last weekend.
- The friendship between Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze will have to be put on hold this week as the two square off Saturday.
- Freshman quarterback Jeremy Johnson, an ESPN 300 recruit, competed for the starting job at Auburn in the fall. Now, it looks like he might redshirt his first year.
- Despite Dak Prescott’s recent success as the Mississippi State quarterback, coach Dan Mullen plans to go with Tyler Russell as the starter against LSU on Saturday.
- Kentucky coach Mark Stoops was visibly upset with his team after practice Wednesday. The last time the Wildcats played at South Carolina, they got rolled, 54-3.
3Q TA&M B. Williams run for 24 yds for a 1ST down
11:13 3rd Qtr 21 Texas A&M 31 9 South Carolina 14 7:40 1st Qtr Boise State 0 18 Ole Miss 0 9:15 PM ET Temple Vanderbilt
- SEC NETWORK/WatchESPN
12:00 PM ET Tennessee-Martin Kentucky 3:30 PM ET South Dakota State 24 Missouri 3:30 PM ET West Virginia 2 Alabama 4:00 PM ET Arkansas 6 Auburn 5:30 PM ET 16 Clemson 12 Georgia 7:00 PM ET Idaho Florida 7:30 PM ET Southern Miss Mississippi State 9:00 PM ET 14 Wisconsin 13 LSU