SEC lunchtime links
May, 15, 2014
By Sam Khan Jr. | ESPN.com
If you're like me, you're yearning for some football but it seems so far away (more than three months until the season opener). Fortunately, the college football talk doesn't stop and today's lunch links includes some current and former SEC players, as well as one interesting, off-the-wall idea:
- Alabama coach Nick Saban has made his voice heard on the SEC scheduling debate (nine conference games vs. eight, and Saban clearly prefers nine). But hearing him hold court and voice his opinions brought a different idea to mind. Nick Saban as college football commissioner? A perfect fit, writes Kevin Scarbinsky of AL.com.
- Remember the noise one Texas A&M regent made about adding the phrase "The House That Johnny Built" to Kyle Field upon completion of its ongoing renovation? Well another A&M regent says there are "NO plans to rename the stadium." On top of that, plenty of Aggies have voiced their opinion against the idea, including former linebacker Sean Porter.
- Former Missouri defensive end Kony Ealy was nearly drafted by the Dallas Cowboys until they worked out a trade to move up. Ealy was eventually chosen 60th overall by the Carolina Panthers.
- Speaking of former Missouri defensive ends, the most visible one at the moment -- St. Louis Rams draft pick Michael Sam -- said he's ready to return his focus to the field and that he's "determined to be great." And Oprah Winfrey's television network will air a documentary following Sam's journey into the NFL.
- Tennessee receiver Alton "Pig" Howard, who missed spring practice for undisclosed personal reasons, will be a part of the Volunteers' summer workout program but according to coach Butch Jones, "He still has certain stipulations and requirements that must be met."
- Former Ole Miss offensive tackle Austin Golson is set to join Auburn and Hugh Freeze says Golson is "going to play for a good man," in Gus Malzahn.
AGGIENATION RECRUITING NEWS
TAMU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Sam Khan Jr. retweeted
- Kevin Sumlin retweeted
- David Beaty retweeted
- Sam Khan Jr. retweeted
2014 SEC STANDINGS
TBD Bowling Green Tennessee TBD Wisconsin Alabama TBD UTEP Arkansas TBD Louisville Auburn TBD New Mexico State Florida TBD Louisiana-Monroe Georgia TBD Louisiana-Lafayette Kentucky TBD McNeese State LSU TBD Southeast Missouri State Missouri TBD Tennessee-Martin Ole Miss TBD Mississippi State Southern Miss TBD Arizona State Texas A&M TBD Western Kentucky Vanderbilt