SEC's lunch links
March, 11, 2014
By Jeff Barlis | ESPN.com
Half of the SEC teams have started officially-sanctioned football-related activities with Missouri and Vanderbilt opening spring practice on Tuesday. There's a lot going on.
- With Missouri getting started, the Columbia Daily Tribune has a mountain of preview content. Among the biggest questions the Tigers must answer this spring: Will Maty Mauk seamlessly replace James Franklin at quarterback?
- Vanderbilt kicks things off with plenty of players changing positions to fit the 3-4 defense that new coach Derek Mason brought from Stanford.
- The LSU Tigers don pads for the first time today in spring practice, and that means it's time for the always popular "Big Cat drill" pitting hand-selected players against one another in a circle of their peers. Also, former Tiger offensive tackle La'el Collins has worked with LSU's new line coach, Jeff Grimes, this spring and says Grimes will hold players to a higher standard.
- SEC officiating coordinator Steve Shaw hopes the debate over tempo in college football won't create division between teams that play fast and teams that prefer a slower game. Keep the focus on what's best for the game, he says.
- Ole Miss defensive players Robert and Denzel Nkemdiche have filed a counter-suit against the man who accused them of beating him at a fraternity party last year. The man sued for $2 million in February, while the Nkemdiches have denied all allegations.
- Texas A&M hasn't practiced that much, but early enrollee receiver Speedy Noil is living up to the hype as one of the top recruits in the nation.
- Former UT coach Johnny Majors is stable four days after a heart valve procedure. The Vols' Corey Vereen, a likely starter at defensive end, seems to be working out a lot at Neyland-Thompson Sports Complex.
- Defensive coordinator Kirby Smart has shifted his position responsibility to coaching the secondary for Alabama, which starts practice on Saturday. Smart was coaching linebackers until former NFL star Kevin Steele took over after moving from the personnel office. Elsewehere, the Tide are well-stocked on the defensive line.
- Defensive ends are a position of strength for Auburn, which opens its spring practice on Monday. One big question: Who will take over for Chris Davis as the Tigers' next punt returner?
- Georgia opens practice in one week, and new defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt is the big story. Here are seven ways he is going to make changes.
- Arkansas has just one significant injury this spring -- tight end Mitch Loewen is out with a torn ACL.
- Mark Stoops' transformation of Kentucky includes a dietician who is tasked with getting the players to buy into the idea of healthier eating.
- The SEC is relaxing its limitations on using prerecorded music between plays. That means the Gamecocks' rooster crow will be back for conference games.
Section Of Kyle Field Imploded For Renovations
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State