SEC lunchtime links
December, 2, 2013
By Jeff Barlis | ESPN.com
The regular season is over, and 12 of the SEC's 14 teams are trying to figure out how to get to next year's SEC championship game. Ten teams are bowl eligible, which leaves four downtrodden SEC teams trying to pick up the pieces and figure out how to simply win games.
- Auburn coach Gus Malzahn skipped the postgame celebration at Toomer's Corner to study film and start working on his game plan for Missouri.
- Missouri has already topped its fans' highest hopes in its second SEC season and has a chance for even loftier heights.
- Crimson Tide kicker Cade Foster, who missed two field goals and had another blocked in the Iron Bowl loss to Auburn, had to take his Twitter profile down after receiving death threats. His teammates took to the social media platform to defend him.
- The Gamecocks (10-2) missed an SEC championship game appearance by a half a game and could end up in Atlanta for the Chick-fil-A Bowl.
- LSU quarterback Zach Mettenberger is expected to recover from a left knee injury in time for the Tigers' bowl game.
- In an indirect way, Georgia coach Mark Richt said he wants defensive coordinator Todd Grantham to return next season. Richt expressed support for Grantham, even with the Bulldogs finishing 10th in the SEC in total defense.
- Vanderbilt has incorporated quarterbacks Austyn Carta-Samuels and Patton Robinette into its running game, and it gave the team a lift in its 23-21 victory against Wake Forest. More pressing news, however, is that head coach James Franklin is a finalist for the USC Trojans job.
- Despite its loss in the Egg Bowl, Ole Miss still has a chance at the Music City Bowl in Nashville, Tenn.
- In the wake of two firings, the big news for Florida is that top-rated QB recruit Will Grier remains firmly committed . Other offensive recruits expressed varying levels of surprise at the news, but more interesting is that some are being told the Gators will look to install an uptempo offense next season.
- Tennessee is looking to bring the big play back in 2014 if the Vols are going to reach their first bowl game since 2010.
- First-year head coach Mark Stoops said he is "disappointed" and takes responsibility for Kentucky's 2-10 record (winless in the SEC).
- Oh no! Mississippi State's mascot, "Bully," was reportedly injured during the Egg Bowl after getting clipped by an ESPN TV cart.
- Another first-year head coach, Arkansas' Bret Bielema, and his staff will hit the road and do some much-needed recruiting after their own 0-8 season in league play.
Section Of Kyle Field Imploded For Renovations
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State