It's game day! Sort of. While most of the league plays on Saturday, as usual, the SEC gets an early start this week with Kentucky and Mississippi State kicking off Thursday night on ESPN. So we'll start there with today's lunchtime links:
- With zero SEC wins and a 3-3 record, Mississippi State calls tonight's game against Kentucky a "must win" game.
- It hasn't been an easy season in new head coach Mark Stoops' first year, as the Wildcats are 1-5, but even with the struggles, Kentucky is playing with a winning attitude.
- One byproduct of a blowout win such as the one Alabama had last week over Arkansas is empty seats in the second half at Bryant-Denny Stadium. Head coach Nick Saban's message to fans: Stay the whole game or give the tickets to someone who will.
- Missouri's offensive line has been stellar this season. The secret? Staying healthy … and ice cream, oreos and other assorted junk food from running back Henry Josey.
- The zone read has been an effective weapon for the Auburn offense and quarterback Nick Marshall has been critical to that success.
- LSU fullback J.C. Copeland will likely miss Saturday's game against Furman because of a concussion.
- Texas A&M only committed five penalties last Saturday against Auburn, but some of them came at critical times. They're still trying to limit their infractions.
- What will Dylan Thompson's start at quarterback in place of the injured Connor Shaw mean for Shaw, the incumbent starter, on Saturday?
- Tennessee's improvement on the defensive line must continue.
- Ole Miss safety Cody Prewitt, who had a key interception against LSU last week, is becoming a leader on the Rebels' defense.
- Vanderbilt coach James Franklin said no decision has been made about his starting quarterback for Saturday's game against Texas A&M and hasn't ruled out Austyn Carta-Samuels, but he praised Patton Robinette's play in relief last week.
Five Programs Expecting 2014 Boost
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35