SEC lunchtime links
- Alabama started the season 3-0, but it didn’t look like the No. 1 team in the nation. On Saturday, the Crimson Tide finally played with passion in a shutout victory over Ole Miss.
- Saturday’s loss to Alabama wasn’t pretty, but all things considered, the Ole Miss defense held its own against the Tide.
- When former roommates Aaron Murray and Zach Mettenberger competed against each other on Saturday, it was Murray who got the last laugh as Georgia defeated LSU in a shootout.
- Mettenberger and Murray will meet again -- if not in December, in the near future on Sunday.
- LSU coach Les Miles always covers for his players, in victory or defeat, but he can’t cover for the Tigers' defensive woes against Georgia.
- With Johnny Manziel and a balanced rushing attack, the Texas A&M offense keeps getting better, but eventually the Aggies will need their young defense to mature.
- South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier is hopeful that quarterback Connor Shaw will return in two weeks. In the meantime, Dylan Thompson will start for the Gamecocks.
- The Florida coaches raved about running back Matt Jones coming into the season. They knew they weren't wrong. Jones stepped up for the Gators with a career-high 176 yards against Kentucky on Saturday.
- Auburn has had a week to prepare for what could be its biggest game of the season.
- For better or worse, Justin Worley is Tennessee’s quarterback. Coach Butch Jones stuck with Worley in Saturday’s win over South Alabama.
Alabama Crimson Tide, Georgia Bulldogs, LSU Tigers, South Carolina Gamecocks, Tennessee Volunteers, Texas A&M Aggies, Auburn Tigers, Florida Gators, Ole Miss Rebels, Aaron Murray, Connor Shaw, Steve Spurrier, Zach Mettenberger, Johnny Manziel, Les Miles, Dylan Thompson, Butch Jones, Matt Jones, Justin Worley