Penn State Nittany Lions: Brian Kelly
September, 2, 2013
By Adam Rittenberg | ESPN.com
I labored to put these links together. Get it? Get it? Enjoy the holiday.
- The Big Ten had an underwehlming Week 1 showing, Scott Dochterman writes. Tom Dienhart recaps Week 1 here and here and updates his B1G power rankings. More Big Ten Week 1 recap fun (or lack thereof) from Lee Barfknecht.
- Nebraska looked like it was still in training camp during Saturday's opener, Sam McKewon writes. Steve Sipple is puzzled by the Huskers' continued defensive struggles. So far so good for Nebraska freshman RB Terrell Newby.
- Michigan State needs to get creative on offense after a sluggish start. Spartans coach Mark Dantonio isn't saying much about his QB situation. Dantonio's loyalty to certain players could prove costly, Graham Couch writes.
- Michigan still stings from last year's loss in South Bend. Notre Dame coach Brian Kelly downplays the Michigan rivalry. Nick Baumgarder takes a closer look at the Wolverines' impressive opening win. Michigan's young talent can help the team overcome some mistakes.
- Northwestern's two-quarterback system continues to pay off. The Wildcats reclaimed the fourth quarter Saturday at Cal. The Inside NU crew shares its thoughts on the opener.
- Urban Meyer talks about why he went for two against Buffalo. Tim May and Bill Rabinowitz debate Ohio State's performance in its opener. Zach Boren got to be a Buckeye player one last time Saturday.
- It's good that Penn State QB Christian Hackenberg has the freedom to make mistakes, David Jones writes. Offensive lineman Garry Gilliam might have saved Penn State with his open-field tackle. Penn State's versatility is paying off.
- Illinois' secondary has a lot to improve upon after the opener. Illini WR Ryan Lankford had a big day in the opener, and it could have been better.
- Wisconsin freshman RB Corey Clement learns a lesson in ball security. Things went swimmingly in coach Gary Andersen's debut at Wisconsin. Badgers senior QB Curt Phillips showed once again Saturday why he's a team-first guy.
- Purdue QB Rob Henry needs to help himself -- and get more help from his line -- to keep his job. The Boilers graded out very poorly in their opener.
- Iowa looked better Saturday but still lost to a MAC team, Mike Hlas writes. The Hawkeyes go back to the basics after their loss to NIU. One game isn't enough to write off Iowa, according to Pat Harty.
- Despite 51 points in the opener, Minnesota has some lingering questions on offense. Gophers RBs Donnell Kirkwood and Berkley Edwards are both questionable for this week with ankle injuries.
- A quick look back at Indiana's Week 1 victory. Bob Kravitz didn't learn much from the Hoosiers' season-opening win.
Illinois Beats Penn State
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
12:00 PM ET Illinois Northwestern 12:00 PM ET Purdue Indiana 12:00 PM ET Michigan 6 Ohio State 3:30 PM ET 10 Michigan State Penn State 3:30 PM ET 18 Minnesota 14 Wisconsin 3:30 PM ET Rutgers Maryland