Week in review: NittanyNation
April, 28, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week's Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Sophomore quarterback Steven Bench said it wasn't an easy decision, but he's set to transfer from Penn State. Brian Bennett offered instant analysis on the move, while Josh Moyer wrote that PSU shouldn't panic quite yet .
- Coverage of the quarterback situation continued elsewhere. ESPN 150 quarterback Michael O'Connor said in this week's edition of "5 Questions" that Bench's transfer piques his interest in PSU . And, in this week's mailbag, we took three questions on the QB situation -- regarding walk-ons, extra scholarships and Christian Hackenberg.
- Now that Tyler Ferguson is the lone scholarship QB on the roster -- at least until Hackenberg arrives -- it's definitely worth taking a look at this: Earlier this year, NittanyNation retraced Ferguson's junior college season and polled half of the coaches who squared off against him about his pros and cons.
- Four-star wideout Chris Godwin committed to PSU. And it's no surprise ESPN's scouts think the Nittany Lions have greatly improved their receivers.
- WR De'Andre Thompkins said in an in-depth Q&A that the addition of another wideout isn't making him shy away from his commitment.
- Troy Apke's coach talked about what makes his receiver special and said that Apke is just getting started. Thompkins' coach said his player belongs on the same level as Mario Williams , a former No. 1 overall pick in the NFL draft.
- Our 2014 PSU spotlight series continued by taking a closer look at DT Ricky Walker.
- Video: Nick Scott talked about his time at the Blue-White Game and his commitment to PSU. Scott also impressed the scouts during the Nike Football Training Camp in Washington, D.C.
- DB Anthony Davis likes PSU a lot , but his recruiting process has become a little harder since his head coach left.
- 2015 RB Jerome Baker had a huge week and picked up several offers, including one from Penn State.
- PSU target Qadree Ollison is a fan of the Big Ten and talks about his recent trip to Happy Valley.
- Athlete Dareian Watkins updates his recruitment and says he hopes to visit PSU.
Challenges Facing Franklin at Penn State
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35