NittanyNation: Week in review
April, 14, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week's Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Cornerback, safety, punt returner, nickelback Adrian Amos is comfortable just about anywhere. And in a time with limited scholarships, that versatility is more valuable than ever.
- Penn State picked up commitment No. 4 when wideout Troy Apke chose the Nittany Lions over Pittsburgh , the school his father played at.
- Linebacker Jared Wangler said PSU is now his top school after he received an offer on his visit -- and he said he didn't want to drag his recruitment out either.
- Bill O'Brien and several of his players talked about the quarterbacks and how they're doing so far this spring.
- ESPN Watch List QB Michael O'Connor wasn't expecting a PSU offer , but he was happy he received one. And the Lions are now among his top schools.
- The high school coach of early enrollee Richy Anderson discussed his tailback/wideout and talked about what fans can expect from him.
- Run-on LB Kyle Searfoss talked about his expectations in this week's "5 Questions" and said he's willing to contribute anywhere he can.
- DT Peyton Newell is up to 32 offers already , and he discussed his recruiting timetable and thoughts on PSU.
- Practice notebook: How did Steven Bench and Tyler Ferguson fare at practice? NittanyNation has all the info here, in addition to injury updates, Sam Ficken's newfound confidence and more.
- Who's Penn State looking at when it comes to defensive tackles? NittanyNation projected the top six DTs on PSU's big board.
- Another DT to keep track of might just be Joe Vitiello , who's enamored with PSU and hopes to prove his mettle to the staff over the summer. He's versatile enough to also play DE or TE.
- PSU didn't want to wait when it came to offering Dareian Watkins , an athlete out of Ohio.
- Our "2014 PSU spotlight" series continued this past week, as NittanyNation highlighted defensive tackle Jeremiah Clarke and wideout Chris Godwin .
- Steven Gonzalez and Daiquan Kelly, two 2015 teammates from Union City (N.J.) High School, were impressed by their first-ever visit to PSU . One player said he even liked the visit more than Rutgers.
- 2015 CB Jordan Whitehead wasn't sure what to think of PSU before his visit . Afterward? Well, now it's a school that might just stay with him until the end.
- Incoming freshman Curtis Cothran talked in a Q&A about his preparations for joining the team and what his goals are this season.
- Ivan Maisel visited Happy Valley earlier in the week and blogged about his time talking to Bill O'Brien and the players.
Are Midseason Firings A Good Idea?
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final South Florida 10 19 Wisconsin 27 Final Tulane 6 Rutgers 31 Final Iowa 24 Purdue 10 Final Wyoming 14 9 Michigan State 56 Final Northwestern 29 Penn State 6 Final Maryland 37 Indiana 15 Final Minnesota 30 Michigan 14 Final Cincinnati 28 22 Ohio State 50 Final Illinois 14 21 Nebraska 45