NittanyNation: Week in review
April, 14, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week's Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Cornerback, safety, punt returner, nickelback Adrian Amos is comfortable just about anywhere. And in a time with limited scholarships, that versatility is more valuable than ever.
- Penn State picked up commitment No. 4 when wideout Troy Apke chose the Nittany Lions over Pittsburgh , the school his father played at.
- Linebacker Jared Wangler said PSU is now his top school after he received an offer on his visit -- and he said he didn't want to drag his recruitment out either.
- Bill O'Brien and several of his players talked about the quarterbacks and how they're doing so far this spring.
- ESPN Watch List QB Michael O'Connor wasn't expecting a PSU offer , but he was happy he received one. And the Lions are now among his top schools.
- The high school coach of early enrollee Richy Anderson discussed his tailback/wideout and talked about what fans can expect from him.
- Run-on LB Kyle Searfoss talked about his expectations in this week's "5 Questions" and said he's willing to contribute anywhere he can.
- DT Peyton Newell is up to 32 offers already , and he discussed his recruiting timetable and thoughts on PSU.
- Practice notebook: How did Steven Bench and Tyler Ferguson fare at practice? NittanyNation has all the info here, in addition to injury updates, Sam Ficken's newfound confidence and more.
- Who's Penn State looking at when it comes to defensive tackles? NittanyNation projected the top six DTs on PSU's big board.
- Another DT to keep track of might just be Joe Vitiello , who's enamored with PSU and hopes to prove his mettle to the staff over the summer. He's versatile enough to also play DE or TE.
- PSU didn't want to wait when it came to offering Dareian Watkins , an athlete out of Ohio.
- Our "2014 PSU spotlight" series continued this past week, as NittanyNation highlighted defensive tackle Jeremiah Clarke and wideout Chris Godwin .
- Steven Gonzalez and Daiquan Kelly, two 2015 teammates from Union City (N.J.) High School, were impressed by their first-ever visit to PSU . One player said he even liked the visit more than Rutgers.
- 2015 CB Jordan Whitehead wasn't sure what to think of PSU before his visit . Afterward? Well, now it's a school that might just stay with him until the end.
- Incoming freshman Curtis Cothran talked in a Q&A about his preparations for joining the team and what his goals are this season.
- Ivan Maisel visited Happy Valley earlier in the week and blogged about his time talking to Bill O'Brien and the players.
The Early Offer: March 5
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35