NittanyNation: Week in review
April, 14, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week's Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Cornerback, safety, punt returner, nickelback Adrian Amos is comfortable just about anywhere. And in a time with limited scholarships, that versatility is more valuable than ever.
- Penn State picked up commitment No. 4 when wideout Troy Apke chose the Nittany Lions over Pittsburgh , the school his father played at.
- Linebacker Jared Wangler said PSU is now his top school after he received an offer on his visit -- and he said he didn't want to drag his recruitment out either.
- Bill O'Brien and several of his players talked about the quarterbacks and how they're doing so far this spring.
- ESPN Watch List QB Michael O'Connor wasn't expecting a PSU offer , but he was happy he received one. And the Lions are now among his top schools.
- The high school coach of early enrollee Richy Anderson discussed his tailback/wideout and talked about what fans can expect from him.
- Run-on LB Kyle Searfoss talked about his expectations in this week's "5 Questions" and said he's willing to contribute anywhere he can.
- DT Peyton Newell is up to 32 offers already , and he discussed his recruiting timetable and thoughts on PSU.
- Practice notebook: How did Steven Bench and Tyler Ferguson fare at practice? NittanyNation has all the info here, in addition to injury updates, Sam Ficken's newfound confidence and more.
- Who's Penn State looking at when it comes to defensive tackles? NittanyNation projected the top six DTs on PSU's big board.
- Another DT to keep track of might just be Joe Vitiello , who's enamored with PSU and hopes to prove his mettle to the staff over the summer. He's versatile enough to also play DE or TE.
- PSU didn't want to wait when it came to offering Dareian Watkins , an athlete out of Ohio.
- Our "2014 PSU spotlight" series continued this past week, as NittanyNation highlighted defensive tackle Jeremiah Clarke and wideout Chris Godwin .
- Steven Gonzalez and Daiquan Kelly, two 2015 teammates from Union City (N.J.) High School, were impressed by their first-ever visit to PSU . One player said he even liked the visit more than Rutgers.
- 2015 CB Jordan Whitehead wasn't sure what to think of PSU before his visit . Afterward? Well, now it's a school that might just stay with him until the end.
- Incoming freshman Curtis Cothran talked in a Q&A about his preparations for joining the team and what his goals are this season.
- Ivan Maisel visited Happy Valley earlier in the week and blogged about his time talking to Bill O'Brien and the players.
College Football Top Plays Week 4
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Iowa 24 Pittsburgh 20 Final Eastern Michigan 14 11 Michigan State 73 Final Western Illinois 7 Northwestern 24 Final Southern Illinois 13 Purdue 35 Final Bowling Green 17 19 Wisconsin 68 Final Maryland 34 Syracuse 20 Final Utah 26 Michigan 10 Final Rutgers 31 Navy 24 Final Massachusetts 7 Penn State 48 Final San Jose State 7 Minnesota 24 Final Texas State 35 Illinois 42 Final Indiana 31 18 Missouri 27 Final Miami (FL) 31 24 Nebraska 41