Week in review: NittanyNation
February, 17, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week’s Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Coaches who squared off against Brandon Bell sounded off on the Penn State commit and appeared most impressed by his speed and range.
- Andrew Nelson wrote a column for NittanyNation on why he chose Penn State. He listed academics, coaching staff and relationships as his three main reasons.
- Penn State hired former Georgia State defensive coordinator Anthony Midget as the safeties coach.
- Video: NCAA president Mark Emmert discussed the penalties imposed against Penn State on "Outside the Lines."
- Tight end-turned-offensive tackle Garry Gilliam received an extra year of eligibility.
- Parker Cothren's coach talked about his player and said Cothren stood his ground against ESPN's top-rated OT -- despite weighing in more than 40 pounds lighter than him.
- Listen: Jay Paterno joined "Mike and Mike" to discuss the family's report on the Jerry Sandusky scandal.
- We took an overview at all the run-ons on defense/special teams along with the run-ons on offense.
- Penn State's first commit of the 2014 class, Mark Allen, said he felt called to be a leader and wants to help the staff reel in other commits in the class.
- We started up our "Meet the run-on" series by offering a glance at the following walk-ons: Sean Corcoran, Brandon Smith, Cole Chiappialle and Tom Pancoast.
- OT Juwann Bushell-Beatty will visit PSU soon, and Anthony Davis will also likely make another visit. The staff has also been in the ear of athlete Patrick Amara.
- Mailbag: From breakout players to quarterbacks, NittanyNation answered several questions in-depth as part of the bi-weekly mailbag.
- We listed five Penn State commits who are rated three-stars that fans should keep an eye on.
- Linebacker Carter Henderson talked in a Q&A about why he turned down offers from several FCS and Div. II schools to walk-on at PSU.
- ESPN Watch List prospect D'Andre Payne named his top schools ... and Penn State has some catching up to do.
- Video: Brian Bennett talks about the B1G's decision to stop scheduling games against FCS opponents.
- Harrisburg (Pa.) RB Rob Martin received his first few offers earlier in the week and said he plans to attend Penn State's junior day.
The Early Offer: March 5
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35