Week in review: NittanyNation
February, 10, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week’s Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- No commit faced more temptations to leave PSU than Parker Cothren. But, in the end, Cothren couldn't say no to Happy Valley.
- Penn State filled out its staff with an assistant coach from Marshall in Anthony Midget.
- We asked the commits why they chose PSU and listed their answers. We also asked how they think -- or hope -- their class will be remembered in four years.
- An overview of PSU's class and a look at sleepers, misses and candidates for immediate playing time. Also, we posted an overview of signing day and what transpired.
- WATCH: Bill O'Brien talked about his 2013 recruiting class and how he overcame the sanctions. O'Brien also talked with Adam Rittenberg in a Q&A about the class.
- Bill O'Brien had some interesting things to say about specific commits. He also recalled the difficult summer and how his team got past it.
- We finished off our "Lions spotlight" series looking at every Penn State commit. We closed with Jordan Smith and Neiko Robinson. You can see the rest of the series here.
- Trinity athlete Adam Geiger talked in a Q&A about taking the opportunity to run-on at Penn State. Fellow run-on Brian Tomasetti also checked in with NittanyNation, answering five questions.
- Tyler Ferguson's coach talked about what separates his quarterback from others at his position, when he first knew Ferguson was something special and when he really showcased his ability.
- Big Ten blogger Brian Bennett ranked the quarterbacks in the conference, and PSU made a big leap from where they were ranked in the preseason.
- While most people slept on Friday morning, PSU's football players were eexercising in 31-degree weather and lifting weights.
- We talked about the future of the team, Adam Breneman, 2014 recruits and more in the bi-weekly chat.
- WATCH: Christian Hackenberg appeared on "College Football Live" to talk about his commitment to PSU. Josh Moyer and Tom Luginbill also discussed Hackenberg and PSU's surprising recruiting class on "Outside the Lines."
- Larry Johnson Sr. played a critical role in piecing together this recruiting class.
- With the 2013 class wrapped up, we looked ahead to some 2014 prospects to watch.
- Georgia tailback Nick Chubb received a scholarship offer from Penn State, although he admitted he didn't know much about the Nittany Lions.
- We took 10 of your questions on Twitter and then posed them to Christian Hackenberg.
College Football Top Plays: Bowl Season
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Cincinnati 17 Virginia Tech 33 Final 15 Arizona State 36 Duke 31 Final Miami (FL) 21 South Carolina 24 Final/OT Boston College 30 Penn State 31 Final Nebraska 42 24 USC 45
Final Nevada 3 Louisiana-Lafayette 16 Final Utah State 21 UTEP 6 Final 22 Utah 45 Colorado State 10 Final Western Michigan 24 Air Force 38 Final South Alabama 28 Bowling Green 33
Final Marshall 52 Northern Illinois 23 Final Navy 17 San Diego State 16
Final Central Michigan 48 Western Kentucky 49 Final Fresno State 6 Rice 30
Final Illinois 18 Louisiana Tech 35 Final Rutgers 40 North Carolina 21 Final North Carolina State 34 UCF 27
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State