Week in review: NittanyNation
February, 3, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at this week’s Penn State football news and what you might have missed:
- Penn State's run-on program is going to be more important than ever. This in-depth look shows the emphasis Bill O'Brien is putting on it and how D.J. Crook made it there.
- Curtis Cothran's coach talked about the kind of player PSU is getting and mentioned how Cothran could stop sprinting ball-carriers with just one arm.
- As part of an ongoing series, NittanyNation took a look at five commits and gave an overview of their rankings, scouting report and projected impact: Garrett Sickels, Kasey Gaines, Brandon Bell, Tyler Ferguson and Zayd Issah.
- Chris Geiss met Joe Paterno back in grade school, and the coach told him he'd be playing football at PSU one day. Sure enough, Geiss accepted an offer last week to become a preferred walk-on.
- 2014 DE Malik McDowell received a scholarship offer from PSU. And 2014 RB Ray Lawry is also receiving more interest from the Nittany Lions.
- No, in the end, he wasn't the most costly decommitment. But, in the history of Penn State recruiting, quarterback Dan Kendra might have been the most memorable decommitment.
- The recruiter-prospect relationship will be impacted by new, looser recruiting rules.
- PSU commit Andrew Nelson talked about his favorite memories on the recruiting trail. And so did DaeSean Hamilton.
- Gregg Garrity Jr. will be following in his father's footsteps as a walk-on wide receiver. Cole Chiappialle, a tailback from western Pa., will also run-on to PSU.
- Two Pennsylvania congressmen authored a letter to Mark Emmert asking for PSU's scholarships to be restored.
- Linebacker Brandon Smith turned to his faith and committed to PSU as a preferred walk-on. Another linebacker, Kyle Searfoss, decided to run-on and said he was born to go to Penn State.
- Tom Pancoast turned down two FCS scholarships to walk-on to Penn State. He explained why in a Q&A. Run-on OT Austin Fiedler also talked about the importance of the program and how he always wanted to play for PSU.
- WATCH: Christian Hackenberg talked about the goals for his freshman season and his future at Penn State.
- There's quite a few quarterback recruits in this class, and we took a look at all of them -- including guys who played QB this past season but will be playing elsewhere at PSU. There's nine, yes nine, in all.
- In our Friday mailbag, we tackled several questions -- including where PSU's recruiting class might rank if there were no sanctions.
- Social media, 7-on-7s and other changes have forced the recruiting world to evolve.
Moving Day For Maryland And Rutgers
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU