Lawsuit links: Coverage of Corbett, NCAA
January, 3, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at news and reaction from Pennsylvania and around the country on Gov. Tom Corbett's decision to file a lawsuit against the NCAA in hopes to get Penn State's sanctions overturned.
- The Patriot-News' David Jones says, according to "high-level sources," that the goal with this lawsuit is to reduce the remaining postseason ban to one year and reduce scholarship limitations. Jeff Frantz speaks with a Democrat running against Corbett in 2014, who questions the intentions and timing of Corbett and the lawsuit.
- ESPN.com legal analyst Lester Munson believes the state's lawsuit is likely doomed and answers some of the main questions about the case. In the meantime, Penn State's commits remain cautiously optimistic (Insider).
- A look at the hard news of just what transpired Wednesday (with video) -- what Gov. Corbett had to say regarding the sanctions, the NCAA's response and quotes from others such as Matt McGloin and the Paterno family. And, of course, the 43-page lawsuit filed by Corbett and the state.
- USA Today's Christine Brennan called this a setback for PSU and points out that Gov. Corbett said PSU needed to "accept the serious penalties imposed" on July 23 and thinks he might have ulterior motives for bringing this lawsuit up now. Brent Schrotenboer writes that the NCAA is facing another lawsuit from a high school sports promoter.
- Writers from the Los Angeles Times and other Tribune Co. newspapers chime in about which side they think will prevail in the lawsuit.
- Michael McCann, the director of the Sports Law Institute at Vermont Law School, analyzes the key issues in this case and says that the NCAA would suffer a "loss" if the lawsuit wasn't dismissed early. He calls it a "landmark case in NCAA legal history."
- The NCAA called the lawsuit an "affront to all victims in this tragedy," but the attorney of Victim No. 4 tells Yahoo!'s Dan Wetzel that nearly the opposite holds true for his client. Wetzel wrote a column later in the day how power is at the core of this lawsuit.
Challenges Facing Franklin at Penn State
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35