Lawsuit links: Coverage of Corbett, NCAA
January, 3, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
NittanyNation takes a look at news and reaction from Pennsylvania and around the country on Gov. Tom Corbett's decision to file a lawsuit against the NCAA in hopes to get Penn State's sanctions overturned.
- The Patriot-News' David Jones says, according to "high-level sources," that the goal with this lawsuit is to reduce the remaining postseason ban to one year and reduce scholarship limitations. Jeff Frantz speaks with a Democrat running against Corbett in 2014, who questions the intentions and timing of Corbett and the lawsuit.
- ESPN.com legal analyst Lester Munson believes the state's lawsuit is likely doomed and answers some of the main questions about the case. In the meantime, Penn State's commits remain cautiously optimistic (Insider).
- A look at the hard news of just what transpired Wednesday (with video) -- what Gov. Corbett had to say regarding the sanctions, the NCAA's response and quotes from others such as Matt McGloin and the Paterno family. And, of course, the 43-page lawsuit filed by Corbett and the state.
- USA Today's Christine Brennan called this a setback for PSU and points out that Gov. Corbett said PSU needed to "accept the serious penalties imposed" on July 23 and thinks he might have ulterior motives for bringing this lawsuit up now. Brent Schrotenboer writes that the NCAA is facing another lawsuit from a high school sports promoter.
- Writers from the Los Angeles Times and other Tribune Co. newspapers chime in about which side they think will prevail in the lawsuit.
- Michael McCann, the director of the Sports Law Institute at Vermont Law School, analyzes the key issues in this case and says that the NCAA would suffer a "loss" if the lawsuit wasn't dismissed early. He calls it a "landmark case in NCAA legal history."
- The NCAA called the lawsuit an "affront to all victims in this tragedy," but the attorney of Victim No. 4 tells Yahoo!'s Dan Wetzel that nearly the opposite holds true for his client. Wetzel wrote a column later in the day how power is at the core of this lawsuit.
Penn State Lands ESPN 300 CB Taylor
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
11:00 AM ET Nevada Louisiana-Lafayette 2:20 PM ET Utah State UTEP 3:30 PM ET 22 Utah Colorado State 5:45 PM ET Western Michigan Air Force 9:15 PM ET South Alabama Bowling Green
6:00 PM ET Marshall Northern Illinois 9:30 PM ET Navy San Diego State
12:00 PM ET Central Michigan Western Kentucky 8:00 PM ET Fresno State Rice
1:00 PM ET Illinois Louisiana Tech 4:30 PM ET Rutgers North Carolina 8:00 PM ET North Carolina State UCF
1:00 PM ET Cincinnati Virginia Tech 2:00 PM ET 15 Arizona State Duke 3:30 PM ET Miami (FL) South Carolina 4:30 PM ET Boston College Penn State 8:00 PM ET Nebraska 24 USC
2:00 PM ET Texas A&M West Virginia 5:30 PM ET Oklahoma 17 Clemson 9:00 PM ET Arkansas Texas
3:00 PM ET Notre Dame 23 LSU 6:30 PM ET 13 Georgia 21 Louisville 10:00 PM ET Maryland Stanford
12:30 PM ET 9 Ole Miss 6 TCU 4:00 PM ET 20 Boise State 10 Arizona 8:00 PM ET 7 Mississippi State 12 Georgia Tech
12:00 PM ET 19 Auburn 18 Wisconsin 12:30 PM ET 8 Michigan State 5 Baylor 1:00 PM ET 16 Missouri 25 Minnesota 5:00 PM ET 2 Oregon 3 Florida State 8:30 PM ET 1 Alabama 4 Ohio State
12:00 PM ET Houston Pittsburgh 3:20 PM ET Iowa Tennessee 6:45 PM ET 11 Kansas State 14 UCLA 10:15 PM ET Washington Oklahoma State