Big Ten lunchtime links
February, 27, 2014
By Mitch Sherman | ESPN.com
Cold, cold, go away.
- Wisconsin athletic director Barry Alvarez weighs in on the Michael Sam discussion after his performance at the NFL combine.
- Court documents show EA Sports wanted to use players’ names and likenesses in its video games.
- Ohio State strength coach Mickey Marotti lays out his priorities for the Buckeyes in the offseason. Meanwhile, Urban Meyer’s wife, Shelly, offers a tour of their Ohio home, which includes a Key West room, and she talks about Urban’s long-term future.
- Penn State coach James Franklin and his staff have a history of success in developing defensive backs.
- More on the notable pay raises for Mark Dantonio and his staff at Michigan State. And AD Mark Hollis says the big salary bumps will come with no expected ticket-price increase in East Lansing.
- Jake Ryan’s position switch has him reunited with Greg Mattison, and it feels so good. More news and notes from Brady Hoke, including an explanation on the position changes, as Michigan opens spring practice.
- Purdue running back Raheem Mostert is accomplishing big things in indoor track this winter.
- Rutgers is getting all techy in how it communicates with football prospects.
- Nebraska is stuck in neutral as a football program and must re-examine its standard for success, writes Sports On Earth. And former running back Cory Ross has fond memories of his time ex-Nebraska coach Bill Callahan.
- All-state quarterback Drew Cook, the son of former star Iowa tight end Marv Cook, accepts an offer from the Hawkeyes. Plus, an interesting breakdown of the Iowa running backs’ production in 2013.
- Jerry Kill’s new contract shines light on his aw-shucks persona.
- The debate continues at Northwestern over 27 players’ bid to unionize, with a perspective on the situation from Oregon.
Challenges Facing Franklin at Penn State
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35