Big Ten lunchtime links
December, 30, 2013
By Josh Moyer | ESPN.com
Including last season, the Big Ten is 1-6 in bowl games in 2013. Maybe 2014 will be better?
- Michigan State has come together as a close-knit team. Even a senior quarterback who lost his starting job and a redshirt freshman whose brother is suspended know what they need to do.
- The pre-Rose Bowl tradition of the "Beef Bowl" has mostly given way to moderation, but it wasn't always like that. One Michigan lineman once ate 8 pounds of prime rib.
- Penn State wants to find stability in its next coach but, the Patriot-News' Dave Jones writes, but that's not easy when the university's president and athletic director each have one foot out the door.
- Ohio State defensive end Noah Spence did not travel to the Orange Bowl because of "personal issues," but Urban Meyer said he hoped the Buckeyes' sacks leader might arrive before the game.
- Braxton Miller's decision whether to declare for the NFL draft is likely already made and won't be influenced by the Orange Bowl, writes Cleveland.com's Ari Wasserman.
- After hearing the seniors' take on their head coach, Wisconsin AD Barry Alvarez said he feels like he hit a "home run" with the hiring of Gary Andersen.
- Michigan's disappointing end to a disappointing season leaves more questions than answers about 2014. Defensive end Frank Clark didn't point the finger at the staff about the loss and said, "I think a lot of guys just lost the will to play as a family."
- Kirk Ferentz acknowledged there's one wild card standing in front of the Hawkeyes -- LSU's first-time starting quarterback Anthony Jennings.
- Nebraska QB Tommy Armstrong Jr. has taken the good with the bad this season and, if he's able to play a clean bowl game, the Huskers have a good shot at winning.
- Sure, Minnesota lost the Texas Bowl. But there is a silver lining -- the Gophers return a solid nucleus next season.
The Early Offer: March 5
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
Final Washington State 45 Colorado State 48 Final 20 Fresno State 20 25 USC 45 Final Buffalo 24 San Diego State 49 Final Tulane 21 Louisiana-Lafayette 24
Final Pittsburgh 30 Bowling Green 27 Final Utah State 21 23 Northern Illinois 14
Final Marshall 31 Maryland 20 Final Syracuse 21 Minnesota 17 Final Brigham Young 16 Washington 31
Final Rutgers 16 Notre Dame 29 Final Cincinnati 17 North Carolina 39 Final Miami (FL) 9 18 Louisville 36 Final Michigan 14 Kansas State 31
Final Middle Tennessee 6 Navy 24 Final Ole Miss 25 Georgia Tech 17 Final 10 Oregon 30 Texas 7 Final 14 Arizona State 23 Texas Tech 37
Final Arizona 42 Boston College 19 Final Virginia Tech 12 17 UCLA 42 Final Rice 7 Mississippi State 44 Final 24 Duke 48 21 Texas A&M 52
Final Nebraska 24 22 Georgia 19 Final UNLV 14 North Texas 36 Final Iowa 14 16 LSU 21 Final 19 Wisconsin 24 9 South Carolina 34 Final 5 Stanford 20 4 Michigan State 24 Final 15 UCF 52 6 Baylor 42
Final 13 Oklahoma State 31 8 Missouri 41 Final 12 Clemson 40 7 Ohio State 35