Big Ten lunchtime links
- Josh Slagter takes a look back at past Michigan quarterbacks' first starts against Notre Dame, and it's been kind of a mixed bag. And, true rivalry game or not, this contest is full of emotion for the Wolverines.
- Call him a perfectionist, but Wisconsin tailback Melvin Gordon is never finished studying his craft. Several true freshmen could play for the Badgers this season, including fullback Austin Ramesh, who should play Saturday.
- Safety Christian Bryant was the only returning defensive starter on the field for a good portion last week, and he's won over Ohio State's staff with his leadership and maturity. Ohio State appears ready to make a "second-game leap" against San Diego State.
- Penn State DT DaQuan Jones made a big splash in Week 1, but he's focused on Eastern Michigan. With the injuries to the tight ends, fullback Pat Zerbe might also hear his number called more Saturday.
- Thursday was Nebraska's best practice of the week, and Bo Pelini is looking forward to putting it to the test Saturday. Zach Tegler writes that Cornhuskers fans should stop leaving the stadium early.
- Michigan State is remaining mum on who will be its starting quarterback this week and believes the evaluation process needs to continue. OL Blake Treadwell is looking to build off his impressive performance. Said one teammate: "Blake's a monster."
- Iowa's defense gave up eight plays of 15 or more yards last week, and stopping the big play will remain a tall task for the secondary. After a "demoralizing" loss to Northern Illinois, Iowa is hoping to restart its season against an FCS opponent.
- Mike Carmin breaks down the Purdue-Indiana State matchups and, unsurprisingly, the Boilermakers have the advantage ... well ... everywhere. Head coach Darrell Hazell is working on changing the mindset of his players.
- A roundtable of Illinois experts discusses the most important player in this weekend's matchup against Cincinnati, and Donovonn Young is a popular choice. Eliot Sill writes that the Illini are hoping to avoid a Purdue-like fate against the Bearcats.
- Expect another high-scoring Indiana victory and a change in fortunes from last year's Navy game, The Crimson Quarry writes. The Midshipmen are adding more of a spread to their triple-option offense (subscription required).
- Former Minnesota athletic director -- and current New Mexico State AD -- McKinley Boston believes his team can upset the Golden Gophers. There's quite a few players on this week's injury report, and tailback Donnell Kirkwood is questionable.
Nebraska Cornhuskers, Ohio State Buckeyes, Penn State Nittany Lions, Wisconsin Badgers, Illinois Fighting Illini, Iowa Hawkeyes, Michigan State Spartans, Michigan Wolverines, Big Ten, Indiana Hoosiers, Minnesota Golden Gophers, Northwestern Wildcats, Purdue Boilermakers, Minnesota Gophers, Lunchtime links
Big Ten Recruiting Classes Evaluated
NITTANYNATION RECRUITING NEWS
PSU FB RECRUITING SCORECARD
- Penn State Athletics retweeted
- Jeff Nelson retweeted
- Big Ten Conference retweeted
- Big Ten Conference retweeted