Big Ten's lunchtime links
September, 3, 2013
By Chantel Jennings | ESPN.com
Happy 50th birthday, Malcolm Gladwell!
- The Big Ten hasn't had back-to-back perfect seasons in 65 years. What was learned about the Big Ten in Week 1.
- Urban Meyer isn't worried about complacency as his team prepares for San Diego State -- which lost to an FCS school last weekend. Wide receiver Chris Fields caught four passes last season and had a heart-to-heart talk with Meyer. On Saturday, he started and caught three passes, two for touchdowns. Ohio State is one of 200 schools pushing to reduce its stadium waste this season. An in-depth look at each offensive snap for the Buckeyes against Buffalo.
- Brady Hoke didn't take Brian Kelly's bait on Monday, writes Shawn Windsor. Taylor Lewan did his job "too well" on Jeremy Gallon's called-back TD against CMU. True freshman Derrick Green was named the No. 2 RB following Drake Johnson's ACL tear. QB Devin Gardner was a wide receiver against Notre Dame last season, but he remembers the QB turnovers.
- From Northwestern: Injury updates and other notes. Syracuse is going to need to open its playbook a bit against Northwestern, says Orange coach Scott Shafer.
- The Badgers are creating turnovers by design. Some notes on the Wisconsin O-line, special teams and Tennessee Tech. Andersen hints that he might be resting starting FB Derek Watt this weekend. The Badgers will wear red helmets this weekend, per this Instagram video from Wisconsin.
- Nebraska QB Taylor Martinez says his left shoulder feels fine. After watching film of the Nebraska-Wyoming game, Bo Pelini has an idea of where this team can go. Pelini, Martinez and Kenny Bell are challenging this Nebraska football team.
- The relationship between Bill O'Brien and freshman QB Christian Hackenberg continues to evolve. Penn State K Sam Ficken has made major strides since last season. LB Mike Hull is probable for this weekend's game.
- The Michigan State basketball team supports its football team and they've got video evidence to prove it. From Joe Rexrode: Three things he learned, three story lines to watch. Red-zone struggles are the difference between Michigan and MSU, so says Mark Dantonio.
- Minnesota CB Briean Boddy-Calhoun made the most of his opportunity on Saturday. A quick look ahead at the Gophers' next opponent, New Mexico State.
- Kevin Wilson is a bit worried about Navy's triple-option offense. And IU could play three quarterbacks against Navy. Video of Kevin Wilson's news conference from Monday.
- Illinois' AD isn't just judging Tim Beckman based on wins and losses -- the Illini have to be better. Beckman not saying much about RB Dami Ayoola. Video of Beckman's Monday news conference.
- New season, but the same old, same old for Iowa. Staying aggressive paid off for NIU against Iowa last weekend.
One Thing To Know: Big Ten Recruiting
BIG TEN SCOREBOARD
7:00 PM ET Eastern Illinois Minnesota 10:00 PM ET Rutgers Washington State
8:30 AM ET Penn State UCF 12:00 PM ET Youngstown State Illinois 12:00 PM ET Indiana State Indiana 12:00 PM ET Northern Iowa Iowa 12:00 PM ET Appalachian State Michigan 12:00 PM ET Ohio State Navy 12:00 PM ET Western Michigan Purdue 3:30 PM ET James Madison Maryland 3:30 PM ET Florida Atlantic Nebraska 3:30 PM ET California Northwestern 9:00 PM ET Wisconsin LSU